Toronto 55C: 55 Charles Condos | 167m | 50s | MOD Developments | a—A

A yellow-brick Selby with art-deco ripoff details slapped on? Please God no.

No no no. A yellow brick Selby with wedding cake tiers, some curves, and Robert AM Stern-style "art-deco ripoff details" tastefully added.

Mod is run by someone that takes architecture quiet seriously. I expect something cool.

He's on the forum so I'm certain he'll be reading this.

That's cool to hear. Mod's projects are solid; the care taken in their work is apparent.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but my wishlist would be for something from aA that is a grid with punched windows, a la 383 Sorauren or this early LCBO lands elevation. I would also accept something similar to Panda, or even something similar to the X Condos.

J34Ywc3.png
na4wO8l.jpg

Here is a generic 55 floor tower, 180 metres tall, along with the surrounding developments, to show how this tower will fit in:

8kq6bGP.png

Interesting that they can replace 100 rental units and still make this a viable project. That means a lot of buildings in this neighbourhood could be ripe for development including mine which is an 11 storey building 2 blocks away on a decent size piece of property. Even though it's a hardship to find somewhere to live for maybe 3 years during construction, it's a good long term deal for the tenants.

The general rule of thumb I've heard to make rental replacement work is you need 3 new units for every 1 you have to replace. I.E. this building has 100 units, so they need 400 units in the new building to make the finances work at the minimum (100 replacement, 300 market). Usually developers prefer closer to 4-1.

Zoning By-law Amendment for a 55-storey residential building consisting of a 6-storey podium base building and a 49-storey tower element above. The building will be 169.25 metres tall, excluding the mechanical penthouse, and has a total gross floor area of 44,073 square metres, of which 43,756 square meters is residential. At grade, 317 square metres of non-residential gross floor area is proposed in the form of a community space

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...4355048&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

Slightly meh at this stage - E/S Elevations from Architectural Plans:

View attachment 140698

AoD
From the article:
When asked about the design of the building, Switzer would not elaborate, but said that the tower will be "distinct" and "something special" that distinguishes itself from the neighbouring condo towers. Though we currently do not have rendered images of the proposal, Switzer's excitement about the design is telling. Fortunately, however, we won't have to wait too long before the unveiling: a site plan approval application will be submitted in the coming weeks, so when all of the application documents are made public we will be back with another story exploring the details of the proposal.

I was hoping for something with more of a cohesive conceptual massing idea - shifting floorplates like 1000 Bay, the half-height shift of Karma, the two-in-one Panda, etc. This reminds me a bit more of Halo where there isn't any clarity on the larger design idea.

I was really hoping with MOD at the helm we'd see a clean, modernist grid facade or something along those lines. But I guess it's still possible that this is a placeholder. Designs like 60 Shuter were wildly different in their Rezoning submission to what later became the design.

Some colour would be great. I’d be fine with a fairly standard design/ massing if it stood out by colour of materials.

Back