Toronto 55C: 55 Charles Condos | 167m | 50s | MOD Developments | a—A

Even if they make it a no parking street the uber, lyft and other idiots would still park on the street, lots of delivery and car ride drivers just don't have any respect for other people rights it seems that its all about me nowadays, many times they block the whole street, i live on the street and you can see everyday that people park at the intersection in front of 100 and 110 Charles in areas that are clearly marked no parking zones and block the cars coming from Jarvis and from Mt Pleasant, what the street needs is major enforcement and higher fines, they could pay for 1 officer to sit there from 4 pm to 11 pm just ticketing.

Agree 100% Major cities in Europe have 2 lane roads. People abide by the rules there yet thousands of Torontonians don't seem to care one iota. They'll hold up 5 cars and think it's ok because they have their hazard lights on. Parking enforcement need more staff. They could pay for the new staff with all the tickets they could write. A ton of our streets downtown will end up 1 lane in each direction only. We'll need a major crack down on selfish/inconsiderate drivers if this is to work. It needs to be an automatic $200 fine; 1 year driving suspension if you get 3 such tickets in one calendar year. Impound the cars if they have to.

Last edited:
They erected thousands of units with the mind that in a post war conglomerate people will abandon vehicles altogether. The private driveways are assigned fire routes. The only place to stand is in the public boulevard. Europe is an entirely different animal. It's apples to oranges.

Toronto allows standing in most zones including those that don't allow parking

May 10, 2020: Demolition of parkade structures is underway beside the building(s) and a number of pieces of equipment are on site.

IMG-0929.jpg

I think saving the whole facade would look a bit taped on. I do think it would have been worth saving some of the decorative stonework for the lobby though.

I think it could look great, sort of similar to Bisha incorporation of the facade (below)
The white brick facade with the gothic-esque accents on the windows are worth preserving, IMO, it's not something we see common and could make a great statement to the entrance

Bisha-1.jpg

Bisha_Front_S.jpg

@karledice the Bisha facade looks amazing. thanks for the pic for reference. adds to the architectural elegance and makes the entrance look inviting.
Exactly, IMO this is a missed opportunity to elevate and preserve and add an architectural Statement to the entrance of this building.
It would have looked unique and provides some character

Agree 100% Major cities in Europe have 2 lane roads. People abide by the rules there yet thousands of Torontonians don't seem to care one iota. They'll hold up 5 cars and think it's ok because they have their hazard lights on. Parking enforcement need more staff. They could pay for the new staff with all the tickets they could write. A ton of our streets downtown will end up 1 lane in each direction only. We'll need a major crack down on selfish/inconsiderate drivers if this is to work. It needs to be an automatic $200 fine; 1 year driving suspension if you get 3 such tickets in one calendar year. Impound the cars if they have to.
It’s getting worse everywhere. Recently, I cycled northbound on Yonge Street around 5 pm and counted 6 vehicles, three on each side, between Wellesley and Charles, parked with 4-way flashers on, despite no parking signs at that time of day. Six!

I can't believe thay took down that charming facade, It was so nice to come home to, even if the apartments themselves were not so nice, but for what? It better be a damn great addition to the neighbourhood that we will love to look at and preserve into the future. Right who am I kidding, a great new building is a rare thing in Toronto. You only have to look across the street to those 2 enormous walls of glass. How easy is that and how unremarkable.

Back