Toronto 55 Yonge | 236.21m | 66s | H&R REIT | PARTISANS

carrythezero

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the latest H&R REIT investor update:

53-55 Yonge.PNG

This one has been brewing for years. Good to see it public. Look forward to reviewing the plans that were submitted.

What is going on in this city two new huge proposals today. And two other at 80 & 82 Bloor st towers consolidating to a height of maybe at supertall status . Wow !! By the way this tower is gorgeous with its unique looking facade for this city . And will complement the two old Victorian buildings next it.

Last edited:
The existing building is a Peter Dickinson. The new one… I can’t name the architects, but it’s real.

The renders available are insufficient to judge the proposal in my mind.

I must confess though, I've never been a fan of Dickinson's work. I find it very utilitarian.

Some will pitch clean lines, and the spare ethos. So be it, taste is personal.

But I can't say I'd miss many of his works.

I probably like Benevuto best among his well known works.

But I still don't consider it irreplaceable by any means.

His material palate was always very basic.

I don't particularly like frou-frou in my architecture.............but his was always a bit too spare for me, and rather boxy.

they also proposed a proposal at 310 Front. how serious are they? is it just a flipping exercise?

A quick glance at their Q2 finances (Q3 for some reason is a broken link) and most of it looks reasonable (cash on hand, debt, lower rates for new mortgages, etc.). 2020 hasn't been good for Net Income; which they offset by devaluing their properties by ~10%.

So, it could go either way. Cash from sale might be useful, but they also have capacity to fund construction of a couple large projects. If they feel work-from-home is going to stick, then expanding their residential portfolio would help offset that, and this being flagged as rental (rather than condos) is a strong indicator they intend to keep it.

Back