Toronto 55 Yonge | 236.21m | 66s | H&R REIT | PARTISANS

I don't think he seriously thought Dickinson designed buildings in East Berlin. He alluded that Dickinson buildings (or at least this one) look like commie blocks, which can be found in abundance in East Berlin.
When it's difficult to know if the person is pulling a Poe's Law is to take the comment at face value...and see what comes up. Thusly, I suspected it was a tactless opinion, but I couldn't really say for sure...

...but I am also glad I did, because someone like you would come along to set me straight. And I thank you for doing so. /bows

If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd say this design has virtually zero chance of being built. And not because of city planning - the developers will choose to water it down into something more economical.

Still fun to fantasize about, just as long as you keep in mind that it's only a fantasy proposal.

If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd say this design has virtually zero chance of being built. And not because of city planning - the developers will choose to water it down into something more economical.

Still fun to fantasize about, just as long as you keep in mind that it's only a fantasy proposal.

You're probably right, unfortunately.

This does seem like a project that could be implemented somewhat efficiently. Perhaps it'll be closer to this than we expect.

Rezoning application submitted:

53 YONGE ST
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

Proposal for a 66-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 17,806.0 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 33,871.0 square metres. A total of 482 residential dwelling units are proposed.

Planning docs have been posted on the 55 Yonge Street Website: http://www.55yonge.ca
Height is 236.21 metres. A fairly conservative height in context with nearby neighbours and recent development proposals.

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 6.18.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 6.18.48 PM.png

51079322458_425ba86d3f_k.jpg

51080016001_1c65ec625c_k.jpg

At only 236 meters it looks pretty small and insignificant next to all the taller and much beefier office towers.

It appears the building that is demolished is post-modern architecture and not heritage.
A good way to undermine one's case against retaining an existing building: to label a 1950s Peter Dickinson work "post-modern architecture"

Back