Toronto 55 Eglinton East | 177.7m | 50s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

Especially since the entire building seems to be empty at the moment -- a posted sign says the whole thing is for lease.

Its been near empty for years now. They definitely did not renew leases with many of their offices, perhaps in anticipation of redevelopment.

Forgive the crappy cell phone shot, but there is another rendering on the development board that I hadn't seen yet. Only a matter of time until a digital copy surfaces.

IMAG0475.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 1,992
I'm curious to see what the final design will be. This is still at a rezoning stage.

The building seems to be an appropriate scale since that monster at 1 Eglinton was proposed.

I'm curious to see what the final design will be. This is still at a rezoning stage.

The building seems to be an appropriate scale since that monster at 1 Eglinton was proposed.
You are right, it is very early still.

Office space is a must have. Every development should replace and add on to the office space. I really hope the city doesn't allow this development to remove office space in a very important future transit node.

I think some office is a must as well. I doubt the developer would want a 1 to 1 replacement, as 8 storeys of office in a condo would be a little much to ask. Something like 50% might be appropriate. Your right about the future transit node, and I think that unless the neighbourhood is severely under housed (Eglinton isn't) a mixed development should always be encouraged.

Speaking of the rezoning stage, I've lurked these forums for a long time and people always seem to foam over initial proposals in this stage. to me it just shows their complete lack of understanding of the process in Toronto. They don't seem to realize that the developer and architect are just trying to get the density / height / setbacks established so they know the framework that they design. Almost all buildings look significantly different (and better) once they go in for Site Plan Approval. Unless they are going for both in the same shot I think people need to just cool it a little and discuss the density / height / occupancy type mix.

1/1 is absolutely appropriate.

when a developer files for rezoning they generally have a good idea of what they want at that point architecturally. If this developer is proposing this, this is the sort of project they expect to build. They will make small changes to it, but generally expect this type of building, No developer goes in proposing a simple condo tower and comes out with an architectural wonder of the modern age.

Although they have not filed for site plan approval yet, it will likely be fairly similar to the current proposal.

Lack of office space replacement cited a couple of times in the refusal. The developer must have known the city wants more office space; I can't wrap my head around why they would propose the current building with less than 1:1.

Back