Toronto 540 King West | 50.66m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

Wonder if Allied has any interest in cooperating with the TDSB for a land consolidation and construction of a new expanded school to serve the downtown with the school housed in the podium and yard on the western sun-receiving side.? Office+residential+retail+school would be an enormous feat of constrained and dense mixed-use planning to be celebrated.
Doubtful. The school is a heritage building so they wouldn't be able to unlock the full value of the land if it is to remain (it is).

For me it is the lack of inclusion of the Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse building that results in an odd built form ... is there any chance of that building being redeveloped once this one fills the area around it?
I'm sure Allied, or any semi-competent developer, would have reached out to try and acquire the site. Sometimes you're stuck with a difficult site and can't do much about it.

sorry for being offtopic, but has anyone notice the marble like treatment for the mullions?

Is there a chance they'll fiddle with the finishes, specifically the colour and lustre of the aluminum / tint of the glass prior to construction? Or is this locked in as is.

The school is basically going to be encapsulated isn't it?

IMO that elevator shaft is a good spot for a public art component. IMO, the massing is a bit ungainly, I think they should extend the brick portion higher.

Agreed, the massing is atypical but from the standpoint of two developers merging sites to gain synergies (ie: share the core), it makes total sense.
It makes no sense from a city planning approach however, the massing is oppressive, and if the planning department's guidelines don't include one that would put a stop to that unfortunate wall, then they're not well enough written..

I agree, this is awful planning and that the site would be best suited with two distinct towers sharing a common underground component. I'd also imagine that this proposal leaves the owners of 548 King Street and 443 Adelaide Street in something of a bind should they ever want to redevelop their buildings.

Ladies and gentlemen, there's Toronto city planning for you. Let's give our planning department a round of applause for this one ?:rolleyes:

Put up a mural and/or decent materials and it will be fine. This is an axo drawing from an angle from which almost no one will ever see this project. I think this wall will be rarely seen.

(Whoever decided to submit or publish this image featuring that blank wall, especially in a darker colour to attract attention, should have anticipated it would not show the project in a good light).

Back