canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
Office complex planned for King
Developer will tear down two buildings

LORI MCLEOD

REAL ESTATE REPORTER

March 14, 2008

The gentrification of King Street West is getting another push as a downtown Toronto landlord lays the groundwork for a 150,000-square-foot office development just west of Spadina Avenue.

The building, which will involve the tearing down of two existing structures, will comprise up to 12 storeys of offices at its highest point and include a rare commodity in the neighbourhood - on-site parking.

The news comes at the same time developer Peter Freed is planning a luxury condo development one block south. Units starting at $1.5-million - a price unheard of in this area -- went on sale last week.

Both projects are testaments to the dramatic changes in a neighbourhood that was once the bastion of factories.

It will also be the first foray into ground-up development for office landlord Allied Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, which owns and manages about 40 turn-of-the-century low-rises in the downtown core.

Allied Properties bought the first property on which the new building will be located, a two-storey brick-and-beam structure at 544 King St. W., early this year for $4.75-million. A second, adjacent property to the north came available on Morrison Street, which runs parallel to Spadina Avenue, and the possibilities for the development greatly expanded, said Michael Emory, chief executive of Allied Properties.

After purchasing the Morrison Street property for $2.7-million, the idea of creating a taller office tower with street-level retail took hold, although it's still hard for a company that traditionally preserves old buildings to plan a demolition, Mr. Emory said.

"I hate tearing buildings down, but when I look at it in terms of creating value, the best alternative is really to build from the ground up," he said. The foundations of the existing buildings won't support the weight of the proposed structure, which is planned for about eight storeys on the King Street side and up to 12 storeys on Morrison Street, he added.

Now sitting empty, 544 King St. W. was built in 1944, and is the former home of nautical supply manufacturer and retailer Genco Marine Ltd. The Genco brothers have moved their operations to a larger facility in Port Credit, Ont., and a smaller one on Queens Quay West.

Allied Properties plans to reuse beams, connectors and some of the brick from the old buildings in the new one, which will feature as many attributes of the neighbourhood's heritage properties as possible, Mr. Emory said. Construction is expected to cost $40-million and be completed in late 2009.

the motel with the recent but bad PoMo reno is so out-of-place that it actually adds some flavour.

So this is the Travel Lodge Inn site? Great news! That place is a blight on an otherwise great part of King West!

Edit: oops, it's that little building that's been boarded up for a long time now across the street from the gas station/pizza pizza/grand & toy. That's still good news. This building was absolutely nothing special. Not much better than an empty parking lot.

Wrong building your thinking of. This is actually the building that is next to the Pizza Pizza on the north side. It currently contains a marine shop. I wonder if they also had plans for the building next door containing zupa's.

The building on the south side boarded up is currently being renovated into a new restaurant.

It's the Genco marine building:

67382.jpg

The building next to it contains Zoe's cafe (not Zupa's - that's at Peter/Adelaide). Is that building included in this plan? Without it, the connection with the Morrison St. lot is kind of awkward.

Hopefully the plan includes removing that piece of shit Pizza Pizza blight. I think the marine store closed a few months back- the building is now empty I believe, and awaiting its demolition fate.

I also thought the building directly west of the gas station was going to be redeveloped? All in all this little stretch is looking better all the time, minus a few problem areas.

p5

Other than the nice red brick, another interesting thing about the soon-to-be-gone building is its substantial setback from the street, which could be used for a nice patio area, but has until now been used for parking.

The PizzaPizza/Grand+Toy (ex Mitsubishi dealership) building is a blight, I always imagined it being redeveloped into something that will fit with the Genco building, but alas, we get to keep the garage and trash the red brick first. Hopefully the garage will soon follow.

Just a rumour at this point but I heard that the gas station site on the north side of king right next to this was recently purchased by Freed for his next development site....

... threads exist on the forum for sites 2, 3 and 4. It's going to be a pretty dense block in a few years time.

King_Adelaide.jpg

Morrison3_resize.jpg

Morrison4_resize.jpg

Cabeman, you're going to surrounded by construction for years.

The building next to it contains Zoe's cafe (not Zupa's - that's at Peter/Adelaide). Is that building included in this plan?

I don't know but Morrison should be extended to King with the kind of density proposed and under construction,

the motel with the recent but bad PoMo reno is so out-of-place that it actually adds some flavour.

Yeah. Very much for the economy-Spitzer crowd.

Had it not been reno'd, it'd probably be a Dominion Modern rallying point...

Back