Toronto 5400 Yonge | 106.82m | 32s | Fieldgate | Kirkor Architects

This seems to be Toronto's definition of "protection of employment land" these days, so it doesn't necessarily surprise me.
The City did an OPA to require 100% office replacement in Centres, but as this planning rationale notes, it's still at the OMB. The OPA has been unenforceable and at the OMB for at least a few years.

Looks a lot like Bosa's 'Cardero' project in Vancouver (designed by Henriquez of Honest Ed's Redevelopment fame):

WEST_GEORGIA_1-611x800.jpg

Source: http://henriquezpartners.com/work/1575-west-georgia/

That tower is very cool. Hope they stick with it. It has some real nice details. That podium isn’t horrible... however it does lack something just not sure maybe if they encorperate something up the side of the podium similar to the balconies. But a larger version.

CityPlanning insisting on 1-to-1 office space replacement but developer refuse, thus this development proposal will be rejected by City,..... and decided at OMB-LPAT

The other version obviously was better so they down graded. Right.. that’s how this works yes? Go for big and hope for the downgrade? Not being funny, this seriously seems to be the non logical thinking behind a lot of these projects when they start out. What a waste of money and time. Just a question . Why don’t they propose all designs first, then pick one that works best then and there. Not one first then decide months or years later on that this won’t work here because blah blah blah. What an odd process.

Resubmission from Sept 2020:

View attachment 313607

I'm inclined to agree this iteration of the proposal is a step in the wrong direction.

The previous one struck me a modern take on some of the more interesting 60's apartment designs.............

Where this one strikes me as derivative of newer builds w/the 'wavy' look; but not done nearly as well as some.

Back