Toronto Ace Hotel Toronto | 44.8m | 13s | Carbon Hospitality | Shim-Sutcliffe

I am pleasantly surprised that Shim-Sutcliffe are the architects of this hotel.
It was highly stressed that the buildings presented that night (including 19 Duncan) are at a very preliminary design level and nothing has been submitted to the city yet, so nothing has been fully worked out yet and there will be plenty of design development to come. Despite this, the design of the building looks very promising and a lot of thought has been put into the design so far.

The use of red brick and depth and articulation of the exterior walls are very nice. The form is simple and tasteful and presents a nice face to the park across the street -- it feels almost European.
The footprint is rather small but is a couple storeys taller than the Brad Lamb condo directly to the south, at 13 storeys tall. There are 129 hotel rooms which seems like a lot for such a small site -- in comparison, this is 30% more rooms than at the nearby Thompson Hotel.

There were a lot of residents from the neighbouring condo buildings on Camden in attendance, which is understandable. They had concerns about light, traffic and particularly noise as the sidewalks are envisioned to be an extension of the hotel lounge and the neighbours are worried it may become as loud and boisterous at night as some of the bars in the Entertainment District. There were many comparisons made to nearby hotels.

I think this is the small building to watch as it could be a very interesting addition to the neighbourhood.

The thread title has been updated to reflect that Alterra is not in fact the developer, but will be the builder, and that Carbon Hospitality is the developer. They are related to Zinc Developments whom Alterra is partnered with for 36Hazelton.

On the Town with Shinan: The Ace Hotel comes to Toronto

“The ink is dry,” a source tells me about a deal struck for the hotel at 51 Camden off Richmond Street. 130 rooms. Built-to-suit. A deal struck, I understand, between Carbon Hospitality in Toronto and the Ace Hotel Group, with the prestigious Shim-Sutcliffe Architects onboard to steer the project. The latter is the team that’s nabbed a dozen Governor-General Awards for Architecture, with their work having been featured in the likes of Elle Decor. Meanwhile, it is developer Ken Zuckerman who’s seemingly pulled off this coup for the city.

I’ve stayed at the Ace Hotel in NYC. It would be nice to have some of that coolness factor here.

Last edited:
Pic taken June 9, 2015

qV9aoOk.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really itching to see a rendering of this proposal. I've been wanting to see what Shim-Sutcliffe can do with a high rise for a long time. It would be interesting to see how they would design a tall office tower in the city.

Kind of surprised they didn't retain the existing building and go for adaptive reuse, since that's very much in line with Ace's aesthetics. (That said, I'm super-excited to see what Shim-Sutcliffe will do.)

Lots of corten - as you'd expect from Shim-Sutcliffe

Back