Toronto Maison Wellesley | 49.79m | 14s | Graywood | Diamond Schmitt

Some more care/attention to design when proposing a development over a site that the community deems particularly important/sensitive, would go a long way towards generating community support, even for a simple rezoning exercise.

Look at the proposal at the corner of Church and Wellesley, it won some good will with the community with the proposed public realm enhancements before pulling a switcharoo.

View attachment 260088
View attachment 260089

Holy hell that is ugly!

It's rare you can get me to be @ProjectEnd when discussing a project; I'm just not quite that ummm, direct, most of the time!

But on this one.............ban the developer...........and pull the licenses of everyone at Diamond Schmitt who touched this.

Thanks for schooling my dumb ass! I'm new to the scene, with no idea of how it works, so I really appreciate your taking the time to calmly and cooly explain that everything is simply a shitshow.

Clash.
"STAY" or GO? (couldn't find the poll to vote so I'll just vote for more CityExits). 🎶

Docs are up

Render.png

Nice studio :)

Studio.png

Some massing diagrams from the planning docs:

1596053009137.png

1596053092486.png

1596053145623.png

1596053170356.png

An interesting bricolage-architecture- the things I like are the terraces, which add some degree of theatricality (imagine what it would be like during Pride with hundreds in those spaces!), and the weaving through the existing structures, which breaks up the form.

That being said, will need to know how retail is going to be dealt with since this does consume a neighbourhood establishment, and the current facade design leaves much to be desired.

I wouldn’t be so sure that the design will completely change. Diamond has used similar language before. And as bad as the drawings look, the reality - when all that glass is window wall - is going to be even worse.

25A82AC8-E4FB-4833-85F2-3DB275ACFBAA.jpeg

I wouldn’t be so sure that the design will completely change. Diamond has used similar language before. And as bad as the drawings look, the reality - when all that glass is window wall - is going to be even worse.

View attachment 260934
Diamond Schmitt is fully aware of how much people hate that building Alex. You won't find any references to it on dsai.ca. I am led to believe that they were backed into a corner by Knightstone on the cladding as the budget was chopped more than once on the way to construction. They were also backed into a corner by the City and the developer in terms of angular planes etc, it's odd shape resulting from get every inch of space that Knightstone wanted on their odd lot and the City not wanting it over a certain height. We as a city have serious problems to deal with in that regard.

I am led to believe that they were backed into a corner by Knightstone on the cladding as the budget was chopped more than once on the way to construction. They were also backed into a corner by the City and the developer in terms of angular planes etc, it's odd shape resulting from get every inch of space that Knightstone wanted on their odd lot and the City not wanting it over a certain height. We as a city have serious problems to deal with in that regard.
We’re talking here about the composition of the facades? The strategy of staggering rectangles of brick and glazing is not purely about budget. It’s a design strategy. Which nobody seems to like.

D6B721A6-E3F2-4D7F-A727-2E58C1BC685D.jpeg

Back