Toronto 500 MacPherson | 22.2m | 8s | Zinc Developments | a—A

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
No additional details or available renderings yet, but Zinc Developments have acquired the building at 500 MacPherson Ave. It's a few blocks west of Spadina Road, and (previously) a part of the George Brown College Casa Loma campus:

Zinc MacPherson

Coming Soon.

Architect
Architects Alliance

macph.JPG

New renderings took from the architectural plan via Rezoning. The total unit count changed from 135 units to 152 units. Finally, the total car parking increased from 102 parking to 103 parking.

I expect a really big upzoning application at these two sites.

Why?

There's no tall precedent nearby; a very tall building here would obstruct views from Casa Loma; It's true that Dupont station isn't all that far ~300-450M; but w/this site abutting low rise and SFH sites; I would be surprised at a substantial upzone here.

A modest one, attempted via CofA would not surprise me.

But perhaps your reading is more insightful here than my own.

You are right to think that a highrise is unlikely. When I said major up-zoning it was maybe a poor choice of words but I can see a doubling of height to 16s and a reduction in parking as seems to be the trend in applications. Having said that, as this is a desirable area and the redevelopment of the GB campus may be in the future I see much higher densities. And as far as sfh in the central city are concerned I don't think anyone in today's development climate sees them as anything but placeholders for future intensification. As for views of Casa Loma while I enjoy seeing it I don't think that they are enshrined in any formal way.

I think there's definitely room for more density on these, especially considering the likely redevelopment of the George Brown mini-campus across the street -- I doubt they're going to be looking at an 8s height peak (nor should they).

I think there's definitely room for more density on these, especially considering the likely redevelopment of the George Brown mini-campus across the street -- I doubt they're going to be looking at an 8s height peak (nor should they).

Tallest precedent would be down on Dupont, and would be 13s.

I could see something in that range being an ask.

Anything taller and you're into to the tall building guidelines and the floor plate limitations and it would require a complete re-think.

Were I a proponent buying here, my instinct would be to go for a bump up that I thought I could get through C of A, as opposed to a full resubmission.

I think that would probably take you to ~ 11s.

Last edited:

Back