Toronto 50 Merton | 157.47m | 45s | Diamond Corp | Hariri Pontarini

I actually wouldn't have a problem with 79 floors here.

Also, am I the only one who finds the 70's Girl Guides building a tad charming?
I'd have no problem with it ideologically, but building science-wise it would be difficult. Structure would be enlarged due to more wind-loading, more elevators are necessary to make up for the increased units but each of those cannibalizes space on each floor leading to either unpleasant wait times for residents or lost GFA to the developer, etc. etc. etc.

I'd have no problem with it ideologically, but building science-wise it would be difficult. Structure would be enlarged due to more wind-loading, more elevators are necessary to make up for the increased units but each of those cannibalizes space on each floor leading to either unpleasant wait times for residents or lost GFA to the developer, etc. etc. etc.
All those challenges can be met, but it would be expensive. The question is whether they could charge enough per square foot at Merton and Yonge to make that feasible. I don’t know the answer to that question but some folks here probably could make an educated guess about that..

Re the typo possibility: the most likely error ending up with a “7” would be if the operator intended to enter a “4”, but even 49 storeys seems something of a stretch to me! (“8” would be an equally probable number but 89 seems even more unlikely than 79!)

I actually wouldn't have a problem with 79 floors here.

Also, am I the only one who finds the 70's Girl Guides building a tad charming?
Incorporate that style into this project and I might get behind it. Plus Girl Guides keep their retail spot will also help.

It definitely will not get approved at 79s. There are too many parks in the area that will be affected by shadowing.

If it's not supposed to be 79 floors why hasn't urbantoronto fix the typo mistake by now !
Because the typo is in the lobbyist registry entry and that hasn’t been corrected yet, nor has an application been filed, so there’s no reference to use for the correction yet.

Because the typo is in the lobbyist registry entry and that hasn’t been corrected yet, nor has an application been filed, so there’s no reference to use for the correction yet.
Someone should give them a buzz!!

Here is a quick mock-up, of a fake 79 floor tower on the site, to show where it is, and a potential massing:

Toronto Model 09-16-21 50 Merton.png

Toronto Model 09-16-21 50 Merton2.png

Here is a quick mock-up, of a fake 79 floor tower on the site, to show where it is, and a potential massing:

View attachment 349502

View attachment 349506
Really makes you wonder… why not??

Land use patterns in this city are so ridiculous

Entrenched single family homes as far as the eye can see, but oh no *clutches pearls* we can’t allow new housing in a building above X m or X FSI

Like… can we stop playing around? Why can’t people build as much housing as they want near transit like this?

getting really mad about this

Back