Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

and it looks like no matter how many times that individual "reincarnate", its attitudes remains unchanged...

What I do know is there are rules against individuals banned from the forum signing up and pretending to be new members (and no, I am not referring to gmeo)

AoD

I see it! I see it! Land! Beautiful land with trees and waterfalls and cranes and people with helmets on! And...and... Oh, nevermind, it's just a cloud... Pass me another coconut.

Last edited:
Again, sorry for giving (those that were offended) condo-blue-balls.

Condo blue-balls only occurs when the building is going up. It's more a duration issue. You shouldn't be suffering condo blue-balls if the market is soft, or the if prospects aren't being stimulated or excited.

Lol. I'm getting the condo blue balls watching the cladding go up on l tower. Seems like There's been a 2 month pause. Also can't wait to see the curve glass on aura, but I can't complain there they've been going pretty fast.

I like the publicly accessible rooftop space, nice touch. I'd worry about how long it would stay accessible before someone decides to make it private. The vehicular access from Bloor Street has to be re-thought as that is wall to wall pedestrians from early morning until mid evening.
Sort of related to a public space, in the 70's & 80's the Manulife Centre used to have a large public courtyard with it's main access off Bay Street with trees and landscaping that most non-Torontonians probably wouldn't have known about. The space is now Indigo with the newer Varsity cinemas/expanded lobby on top. The roof above all that is a private green space now so unfortunately it's not accessible to the Joe Blow public. I remember a scene from a 1970's Telly Savalas film called "She Cried Murder" with him on a payphone shot in front of the courtyard, also in the Toronto subways.
The rest of the project looks good, I hope Cumberland Terrace below grade is involved in an update here.

Last edited:
As ground breaking as One Bloor is (for Toronto), this design impresses me more. It's not as sensuous as One Bloor, but everything about it just feels right: the proportions, roof top patio, access from Bay, the atrium, and design transitions as one moves up. It promises to deliver on so many fronts.

Last edited:
The notion of a park above the podium is great - but frankly it is more of an amenity/value-added for residents than the public at large, as dt_to_geek mentioned. They should of course pursue it, but I would be very hesitant to consider it a benefit to the public - far better to ask for funds to improve on the existing spaces.

As to the design - the podium looks fine (and I particularly like how they are able to accommodate multiple storefronts along Cumberland) but the tower itself is ho-hum and needs more work.

AoD

Last edited:
Agreed. The podium looks rather engaging along Bloor, and the materials look rich and varied. The design of the tower, however, just looks "blah" and a bit disjointed. Its different sections don't look significantly varied, but they also don't look the same. A better design for the tower and I could be very excited about this proposal.

As ground breaking as One Bloor is (for Toronto), this design impresses me more. It's not as sensuous as One Bloor, but everything about it just feels right: the proportions, roof top patio, access from Bay, the atrium, and design transitions as one moves up. It promises to deliver on so many fronts.

I agree, I have to admit I love the tower portion. It has a sophisticated feel to it, yet it doesn't seem pretentious. I like it a lot more that 1 Bloor. I really appreciate the pattern on the lower half of the building and how it steps to the east. I also like the roof element, and the fact that there are 3 distinct portions of the tower that play with the same colours enough to not seem disjointed. It looks very elegant. I think it's towers like this (and ICE) that Toronto's style of architecture is evolving into.

I agree, I have to admit I love the tower portion. It has a sophisticated feel to it, yet it doesn't seem pretentious. I like it a lot more that 1 Bloor. I really appreciate the pattern on the lower half of the building and how it steps to the east. I also like the roof element, and the fact that there are 3 distinct portions of the tower that play with the same colours enough to not seem disjointed. It looks very elegant. I think it's towers like this (and ICE) that Toronto's style of architecture is evolving into.

Well said, I think this tower has got to be one of the best proposed. I don't really get why many are bashing the tower itself. The thing doesn't have much spandrel, has a unique shape and crown, and best of all isn't green or bluish green. This will do wonders to bloor. This is definitely a better looking tower than Aura and maybe even 1 bloor.

Well said, I think this tower has got to be one of the best proposed. I don't really get why many are bashing the tower itself. The thing doesn't have much spandrel, has a unique shape and crown, and best of all isn't green or bluish green. This will do wonders to bloor. This is definitely a better looking tower than Aura and maybe even 1 bloor.

Yeah, dont get it it:confused:, three of the best proposed projects in the last year, and you get this....Nitpicking:eek:

50 Bloor street west
The design of the tower, however, just looks "blah" and a bit disjointed. Its different sections don't look significantly varied, but they also don't look the same. A better design for the tower and I could be very excited about this proposal.

10 York street
Looks to me like yet another glass/spandrel tower with some pre-cast filler. I actually find it looks quite awkward and half-baked... the design isn't quite there yet.
Next!
(I actually much preferred the original point tower design they revealed to the press. And we all know how sick of point towers I am.)

Mirvish/Gehry (King street west)
My concern is still, among other things, that we are getting another ROM here: a building designed primarily based on a "vision" as opposed to a design that is developed based on functional concerns in tandem with engaging aesthetics. I'm never as impressed with such designs.

Next!

Back