Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

I disagree entirely, 50 Bloor does look very elegant and has one of the nicest podium's we've seen this "boom".

I also like 1 Bloor - but let’s be clear, 1Bloor is just a box, like hundreds of other boxes in this city, it’s the articulated balconies that are expected to make a difference and until it is built, we won’t really know.

Sorry, if one's sense of aesthetics is based purely on the whether a form is a box or not, I regret to inform you that 2/3 of 50 Bloor is as boxy as it comes, without even bothering to hide it with balcony flourishes. The top 1/3 has a slight wedge, but orthogonality still rules, till the bitter end - and let's not even get into how boxy the podium is.

And no, we do know the articulated balconies will make a difference - if one is confident enough to judge a building and come to the conclusion that it is elegant on the basis of ONE rendering, he surely should be confident enough to judge another with umpteen others and published floor plans. Besides, if one is this confident - he should also know the track record of the developers and the architects in question, i.e. their ability to carry out the vision to fulfillment.

In any case, this is by no means the final iteration of the project - there is still time to nitpick it so that it goes from ho-hum to otherwise.

AoD

Last edited:
Ah, I understand what Big Daddy is saying, but I also empathize with AoD on the boxy hang up.

I love Bay-Adelaide Centre. It's simple, it's beautiful and it incorporates historical structure(s). I think once the whole complex is done it will really add to the skyline. However, I do feel that if the tower at 1 Bloor had a rectangular base that it would appeal more to my sense of style. It would offer the opportunity to switch things up on the narrower sides of the building, as well as accentuating the water-like design along the side.

I also get the impression from the renderings that 1 Bloor will look a lot worse than presented, while 50 Bloor will look significantly better than presented when realized. I feel that with 1 Bloor there are a lot more variables in terms of execution and materials used that will determine it's aesthetic value. While with 50 Bloor, I feel that the contrast between the white cladding and the glass will be greater than presented, actually making the building look better than the rendering, especially on the Bloor Street frontage.

We should be grateful we're arguing over what 75s+ building looks better. Hopefully both of these bitches get built.

The rendering for 50 Bloor posted on the previous page shows a building that could be really good or just okay. The quality of the cladding will make a major difference.

Leave it up to clueless developers like Morguard to hire unproven architects like Pellow + Associates to design a project of such great prominence. The only indicator to date of how Pellow's building finishes are in an urban setting is the new Coca-Cola HQ on King East. Adjustment for difference in project context is obviously taken into consideration but overall I'm not thrilled by the architect's lack of vision or track record of execution. Then again, same can be said of Morguard.

Sorry, if one's sense of aesthetics is based purely on the whether a form is a box or not, I regret to inform you that 2/3 of 50 Bloor is as boxy as it comes, without even bothering to hide it with balcony flourishes. The top 1/3 has a slight wedge, but orthogonality still rules, till the bitter end - and let's not even get into how boxy the podium is.

And no, we do know the articulated balconies will make a difference - if one is confident enough to judge a building and come to the conclusion that it is elegant on the basis of ONE rendering, he surely should be confident enough to judge another with umpteen others and published floor plans. Besides, if one is this confident - he should also know the track record of the developers and the architects in question, i.e. their ability to carry out the vision to fulfillment.

In any case, this is by no means the final iteration of the project - there is still time to nitpick it so that it goes from ho-hum to otherwise.

AoD

A rather edgy response.

What I meant was that, based on the render, I feel the building looks quite elegant – given, of course that all buildings in T.O. are square (except for ICE). And I would point out that your defense of 1 Bloor is also based solely on renders. As for the floor plans of 1 Bloor, they are awfully small and unimaginative – and I’m quite sure the same will hold true for 50 Bloor West when they become available. My background is in architecture and I am currently in real estate. Most of the condos being built – and I have personally visited many of them – are painfully small. I know we are being told this is the trend in cities like New York but I don’t know how you can live in such small confines without developing a sense of claustrophobia.

Last edited:
This sounds dumb but I would like this development more if the tower were turned about 20 degrees. It would at least give it a bit of drama. Its abutment to 2 Bloor W is making me uneasy (along other things).

I don't see anything interesting or out of the ordinary, with this tower, except that it's tall. Other than that, it is just an ordinary glass box. I really don't understand why some people like it so much. The podium is decent but I just can't get excited about this conventional, glass tower.

Big Daddy:

And I would point out that your defense of 1 Bloor is also based solely on renders.

Partially? Of course. Solely? No. There are models and floor plans - and by the latter I don't meant for the units per se, which has little to do with the exterior form of the building, but those depicting the organization of spaces and edges. Since you are trained as an architect, I am sure you can transpose all these different depictions, combine them with extant examples of projects by H+P (say the handling of materials, particularly curved glazing - e.g. Schulich School) and conceptualize all of this information into an image of what the building will look like when completed.

AoD

Last edited:
Hahaha, i guess the same could be said about every other development in Toronto

One Bloor, Aura, Ice, Parade, L Tower, Ryerson student building all bring something new and interesting to the table. There are no other buildings like them in the city, so I think your comment is invalid. 50 Bloor (the tower portion) is very similar to other towers around town.

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of those who like the design of this tower. First and foremost, I just find it to be handsome, though understated. I'm also very interested in the western facade of the lower portion of the tower. The up-close renderings reveal what could be a very interesting balcony arrangement.

And no, we do know the articulated balconies will make a difference

Don't generalize. We're not all fans of articulated balconies. Actually, many of us prefer integrated balconies to those that stick out and create clutter, even if the design of the balconies themselves is elegant. In my opinion, 50 Bloor looks much better than 1 Bloor (in the renderings), especially when comparing the podiums. The 1 Bloor podium doesn't match the scale of the building, while 50 Bloor's not only matches the scale of the street, but even goes as far as making a bold statement of opulence. We don't get that too often in Toronto, and I for one welcome it with open arms.

The only indicator to date of how Pellow's building finishes are in an urban setting is the new Coca-Cola HQ on King East.

They did a great job on that. If you're using that as an indication of how this tower will turn out, then it's looking good.

I like the form of the 50 Bloor W tower, I don't love it but at least it's somewhat of a departure from the standard square glass highrise. Hopefully a bit of tweaking can make it a little more visually interesting and my standard copy and paste comment, hopefully great glass is used.

Back