Toronto 50 at Wellesley Station | 114.9m | 37s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Looks like hurricane-force winds hit it... in the fashion of an extremely confined micro-burst that thankfully spared Vox next door.

This would've been fine had the clear panes been tinted black, and the white panes been tinted further white, like those at Casa 2 and 3. Unfortunately, poor tinting choices (that made the whole design barely noticeable) have resulted in a total flop.

As a long time resident of the historic and beautiful Paul Kane House, located directly next to this abomination, I can attest to the fact that we collectively were looking forward to something even remotely resembling the original concept's multi-tonal design, touted as "Thoroughly urban with a fresh, organic style that is so much more than mere window dressing ... 37 storeys of fabulous ... gracefully positioned around Yonge and Wellesley Streets."

In reality, the structure is a one-tone fugly grey, dizzying height, boring monolith, with glass balcony finishes that look like they've got packing tape criss crossing them, awaiting removal. There is nothing original, organic, or fabulous about this aberration! Seriously, a 5-year old could have come up with something more interesting than this piece of Christmas Trash!

If this is the best that PlazaCorp, City Planners and the OMB can come up with and approve - right atop an historic building and parkette - then God help the residents of Toronto's downtown core! You would think that we would have learned our lessons when we handed over Toronto's waterfront to the developers of these grotesque, towering eyesores back in the early 80's - nope! They're still there, and the gentle people of Toronto were robbed of the beautiful waterfront park access that could have been incorporated into these 'developments' - forever.

With the coming and continuing years and years of demolition and construction of the proposed monolithic properties directly to the east and north of Paul Kane House, the only rational decision as a human being, was to vacate my home and move to a truly "fresh, organic" environment outside of the City of Toronto - my birthplace and home of nearly 60 years!

Shame on Plazacorp! Shame on Toronto's City Planners! Shame on the OMB for consistently overriding Toronto's City Planners on height appropriate and green space bylaws!

Peace out!

The Xs all over reminds me of the condemned tenement house that Dustin Hoffman's character lives in Midnight Cowboy.

"The X on the windows means the landlord can't collect rent, which is a convenience "

Back