Toronto 5 Corporate Drive | 137.8m | 44s | Kevric | WZMH

Though Menkes may have had honest plans to build this complex a few years ago but then decided to sell.

Assuming Tridel is going to scoop it up, there should be a "no precast" clause. But, there won't be.

Menkes very well may have intended to build it this complex, which is why I found it strange to see this property listed as being available a few weeks back. I realize my post reads like they had always intended on getting the approvals in place then selling it, but I was trying to say it's not uncommon for developers to do this.

If Tridel were to pick it up I wouldn't be too worried about getting a precast building like the Avondale/Avonshire neighbourhood. My guess is that it would be more akin to a few other of their recent glass and spandrel buildings such as The Republic at Y&E and James Cooper Mansion, not that those are any better. Although given the location across from the Lee Development buildings and Tridel's previous Consilium buildings, I don't think they would be that bad unless all four buildings are the same. Given Tridel's recent track record in Scarborough, it might even be an eliptical building.

It's perhaps a bit unexpected that they would get approval for the tallest building in Scarborough and then sell it...might a future landowner try to squeeze even more height/density/units out of the site?

The fear with precast does have to do with the great likelihood that all 4 buildings will be basically identical, with an oppressive amenities podium, to boot.

Depending on how much a future landowner purchases the site for, perhaps they could try to get a bit more density. Without going through the OPA/ZBA approvals at this moment to see what exactly was approved, I could see them trying to go through the CofA for such approvals.

Unfortunately, regardless of the final tower designs, an oppressive, sterile podiums are what will end up being built. The podiums in that last rendering are brutal! Won't anyone think of the pedestrians!! :rolleyes:

Something is going on there. Fences, trucks, etc.
Does anyone know more?
Checked Tridel, Menkes, Monarch, Henderson, but nothing.
Sorry for digging the thread out.

Menkes & AEW sold these properties years ago. Not sure if the current owner ever had plans to do additional residential.

Apparently they acquired the existing office buildings in 2012. Whether it's on purpose or not, "Scarborough" is not mentioned in their profile of Consilium Place. Instead, it's "Eastern Toronto". Also, a new subway line would be here in 2015. Perhaps an update is required.

Not sure how current any of this is but there appears to have been some work done since Kevric obtained the site:
Toronto, Consilium currently consists of three office towers with a total surface area of over one million sq. ft. An important expansion project is currently under study for the property, which is located in a sector whose rapid growth is being stimulated by the imminent arrival of a new subway line.

Addition of three office buildings
In addition to the three existing office towers, the Consilium Place property includes a large amount of land that is currently used as exterior surface parking, but that can be developed into additional office space. The latest plans anticipate the construction of three office towers of which two are planned to be symmetrical 15-floor towers comprising 375,000 square feet each (400 & 500 Consilium Place).

The third tower (600 Consilium) will be a 150,000 square-foot office building. The structure will rise to six floors from the street level and be built out of concrete. To maximize the efficiency of the floor plates, there will only be one set of columns between the core and the windows on the building’s longer axis, along the street. The building’s bottom two floors will consist of a mix of retail and office space while the remaining four floors will consist entirely of office space. The mechanical and electrical systems will be designed for an occupation density is of 100 sq.ft./person and for achieving LEED Silver certification. Lastly, in addition to a roof designed to include a green roof, a terrace, and provisions for generator support structures, the building will offer 300 underground parking stalls over two or three levels.

dev-project.png

The yellow buildings above are these two below. WZMH are the architects.

Consilium-Rendering-20140917.jpg

600-Consilium-Lighter_Low-Res.jpg

http://www.kevric.ca/projets-en-developpement/toronto/consilium-place/?lang=en

Good to see some commercial development up in these parts, but it'll also be interesting to see how these plans differ and continue from the original site masterplan.

Back