Toronto Lawrence Parktown Residences | 35.22m | 9s | Lawrence Parktown Residences | Bortolotto

Sure seems like this is the exact type of project that jennifer keesmaat would support.
I guess her planners don't have the backbone to push back against the rich rate payers?

Hmm. Tim's post above likely refers to the fact that this development was appealed to the OMB back in early 2016 for the City's failure to make a decision on it. The pre-hearing was in June, and the hearing took place this January. We are waiting to hear the verdict now. I agree with Tim's assessment of it as a worthwhile project, but I think it's more likely local Councillor Jaye Robinson's lack of support that killed its trip to City Council. I'd be surprised if it weren't approved by the OMB.

Still no OMB decision? I feel like this project is a textbook example of how challenging it is to develop the "missing middle" style density that the City so desperately wants/promotes. Especially in the yellow/neighbourhood areas.
Surprised it hasn't got more attention. Especially w Peter Clewes as the architect. You'd think the city would be happy with 21 new townhouse units 250m from a major subway.

Yup, it's beyond ridiculous that a decision has not been rendered (in favour of Gairloch) from a hearing that began on January 4.

Pretty pathetic.

A project of this scale should not be stuck in limbo this long.

I can't believe the OMB still hasn't rendered a decision on this project.

There's a difference between rendering a decision and making it public.

This area has some very powerful residents and ratepayers association.

You'd think Based on the altamont and keewatin decisions (clearly stating that stacks are permitted in neighbourhoods) that the board would have to approve this one. If for nothing else but consistency.

Agreed. This seems like a no-brainer to me. Crazy that it's taking this long.

Agreed. This seems like a no-brainer to me. Crazy that it's taking this long.

This area has some very powerful residents and ratepayers association.

Answer right there. Local ratepayer associations can make it exceedingly difficult to build in certain areas, especially if they have the ear of the Councillor.

I am curious to see how the OMB reforms may diminish (developers and neighborhoods working together earlier) or exacerbate this (these neighborhood groups get even more powerful).

The local councillor has a bulldog reputation for how fiercely she fights for her constituents and projects. And if you think the developer will do better at OMB level,... who's the provincial representative here? Are we still wondering why this is taking so long?

My bet is on this being denied due to the local opposition.

These are the same locals who fought off the City's plan to install sidewalk on side-streets; locals fought off that project for 6 years to preserve their original country road feel and old road side trees. City reduced endangered tree list by 2/3, proposed road width and sidewalk width are reduced from minimum city standards to Provincial minimum,... and still not enough, now only a handful of sidewalks will be installed near local schools. These are the same locals who would hire consultants and lawyers to speak for them.

Last edited:
She didnt seem to fight too hard on 100 Ranleigh ave to the north. Supported its approval at council. Of course, it's on the north side of Lawrence...

I am curious to see how the OMB reforms may diminish (developers and neighborhoods working together earlier) or exacerbate this (these neighborhood groups get even more powerful).

The proposed reforms include the ability to designate areas around transit stations, where minimum density requirements can be implemented and will not be appealable. If Council have any backbone they will designate the area around Lawrence station.

That townhouses a 2 minute walk from a subway had to be taken to the OMB, and wait 8+ months for a decision, is an absolute farce.

Back