Toronto Lawrence Parktown Residences | 35.22m | 9s | Lawrence Parktown Residences | Bortolotto

It has. You should see it appear soon. Gotta love this development schadenfreude!

Soon is relative, LOL

Application is now public in the AIC:

Since I think we have all the deets here, I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: PMT
7glb0u.jpg

Image source

Given Toronto’s guideline on density required for higher order transit like a subway, the council should approve a building at least 35 stories tall on this location.

We really shouldn’t be building low rise low density housing next to subway stations.

Given Toronto’s guideline on density required for higher order transit like a subway, the council should approve a building at least 35 stories tall on this location.

We really shouldn’t be building low rise low density housing next to subway stations.
Since when is 9 stories low-rise low-density? I don't think this is an issue if it sets a precedent for intensification on this street - this is one of the least arterial-like arterial road segments in the city, after all.

9 storeys is high-density when every building for blocks on end is 9 storeys high with no surface parking lots, minimal driveways and laneways, and compact parks. When it's just one 9-storey building surrounded by sprawl and wide roads, it's not high density.

49-59 Lawrence Avenue East - Virtual Community Consultation Meeting

Wednesday, February 28, 2024 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

An application to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law has been submitted to permit a nine storey (approximately 35 m) residential building, consisting of 40 dwelling units. The proposed residential gross floor area (GFA) is 5,755 m2 and the proposed FSI is 4.13. A total of 41 parking spaces, including nine visitor parking spaces, would be provided in a two-level underground parking garage. A total of 44 bicycle parking spaces would be provided, including 36 long-term bicycle parking spaces and eight short-term bicycle parking spaces.

The existing buildings would be demolished.

Join us at the Virtual Community Consultation Meeting to participate, which will include:
• An update on the state of the Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment application, including the process and potential outcomes;
• Opportunities for local residents, employees, businesses and landowners to provide feedback; and
• Next steps for the application.

--------------
Docs from Nov 2023:

49law.JPG
49law2.JPG

IMHO, I think this gets it right from a density perspective. The site is surrounded by 2 and 3 storey homes, but is only 2 blocks from the Lawrence subway station. This should set a precedent encouraging taller/higher density builds closer to the station. Yonge & Lawrence could easily accommodate 35-40 stories at the corner, dropping down as one gets further away to better fit with all the low rise residential in the area.

I popped into this evening's community meeting. As expected, a lot of opposition from locals, propped up by Councillor Robinson who was fiercely opposed to the project even when it was a less dense townhouse proposal.

The presenters did a good job responding to more valid concerns like parking and school capacity.

I'm typically accommodating when it comes to community input for development proposals, particularly when it diverges from the neighbourhood vernacular or scale, but there were many comments that were brazenly classist and tone-deaf.

Am I correct in thinking that this building would be allowed as-of-right if the MTSA policy ever comes to fruition?
Depending what the specifics of MTSA policy would be I guess . . If its anything like what BC legalized, I think it'll be 25 storeys for this location but who knows!!

Last edited:

Back