Oakville 485 Trafalgar Rd | ?m | 19s | First Capital | Giannone Petricone

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
New development near Oakville GO in an existing strip mall in Olde Oakville. Two buildings are proposed, standing at 19s and 14s. No application to the Town of Oakville has been made yet, but the land owner First Capital is hosting a meeting to discuss the development with the community before moving forward. More details posted by the Trafalgar Chartwell Residents' Association (TCRA) here.

Initial plans here:

The planning documents are up on the Town of Oakville website. It looks like this will be the first phase of an entire re-development of the surrounding mall. In my opinion, it looks great, and is some well-needed density surrounding Oakville GO.

A quick overview of the development:
  • Building C - 19 storey building containing 164 residential units and 1,965 m2 of retail space
  • Building D - 14 storey building containing 128 residential units and 2,100 m2 of retails space
  • Parking - new 300 proposed parking space

This is (basically adjacent to) the planned downtown of Oakville. I think they are going soft on the height and densities compared to what is happening in other 905 burbs, heck, even in Burlington.

This is (basically adjacent to) the planned downtown of Oakville. I think they are going soft on the height and densities compared to what is happening in other 905 burbs, heck, even in Burlington.
Oakville probably has the single strongest NIMBY tendencies of all GTA municipalities. They hold a strong 4 storey height limit on their downtown core - probably the strictest in the GTA.

^Sounds like something that Doug Ford could take care of.
Doug Ford is running scared these days, so it's unlikely he's going to want to piss of the Oakville yOakels who actually do vote for him. That's not the real issue here though —

The old downtown area of Oakville along Lakeshore Road is quite a charming, upmarket stretch of heritage buildings mixed in with some gussied-up more modern buildings. The overall effect works, in any case, as a very walkable shopping and dining street that doesn't need tall buildings to help it out. Besides, that area is far from rapid transit.

It's this area near Oakville GO station where anything of particular height should go, so that's where they're allowing it. Thumbs up!

It's this area near Oakville GO station where anything of particular height should go, so that's where they're allowing it. Thumbs up!
When I said Oakville's new downtown, I did indeed mean near the GO Station. Being dubbed as Midtown Oakville.

So in fairness, the developer is going for more than being prescribed by city planners, though the plan already feels dated from earlier this decade in comparison to what is regularly being proposed in the rest of the 905 municipalities including neighbouring Burlington. Here is a snapshot of Burlington GO mobility hub plan below for comparison, and note that Burlington has 4 total areas being designated as mobility hubs with similar plans compared to Oakville's singular one pictured above.

1572302784119.png

Dark Purple = Max 30s
Light and Medium Purple = Max 19s
Yellow = Max 11s

The whole thing just to me seems like a result of a compromise between city planners operating under a NIMBYist environment and the developer cautiously seeing what they can get away with in said environment. The Oakville growth plans are overly conservative when compared to Burlington, and that is just a fact. If we as a region were bold, we would go for taller and denser than prescribed at this prime location in Oakville that is near both the GO station and a major highway.

There is bonusing provisions that allow you to break the 20 storey limit, I believe.

oakville is being extremely ambitious in their midtown Oakville plans. It’s just taking a while to get off the ground as there isn’t really the market for condos in south oakville yet apparently. North Oakville has condos sprouting up like weeds right now so I imagine it’ll shift south shortly.

When I said Oakville's new downtown, I did indeed mean near the GO Station. Being dubbed as Midtown Oakville.

View attachment 212066

So in fairness, the developer is going for more than being prescribed by city planners, though the plan already feels dated from earlier this decade in comparison to what is regularly being proposed in the rest of the 905 municipalities including neighbouring Burlington. Here is a snapshot of Burlington GO mobility hub plan below for comparison, and note that Burlington has 4 total areas being designated as mobility hubs with similar plans compared to Oakville's singular one pictured above.

View attachment 212068

Dark Purple = Max 30s
Light and Medium Purple = Max 19s
Yellow = Max 11s

The whole thing just to me seems like a result of a compromise between city planners operating under a NIMBYist environment and the developer cautiously seeing what they can get away with in said environment. The Oakville growth plans are overly conservative when compared to Burlington, and that is just a fact. If we as a region were bold, we would go for taller and denser than prescribed at this prime location in Oakville that is near both the GO station and a major highway.
Different places are looking for different things. Oakville is required, like every other GTA municipality, to plan in accordance with the Places To Grow act, but it's still Town of Oakville-liness that's ingrained there, and as long as they are meeting mandated targets, expecting any more from them is expecting too much.

I guess that's the meaning of "post modernism". That is, what was new 20 years ago is now being leveled for a newer condo development...

Back