Toronto 4800 Yonge Street | 168.24m | 49s | Menkes | Arquitectonica

Very, very impressed with what was shown! And definitely on board with the suggested refinement of material (curtain wall). The transition between the podium and tower massing has also grown on me, with the vertical elements depicted in the cladding of the podium. That being said, if they rounded-off the corner fronting Yonge-Shepard and opened it up as public space, similar to what was done at Hullmark Centre, it might be less of a visual break (though at the expense of retail space). 167m is a bonus if they manage to get that!
This is certainly shaping up to be an exciting collective of towers and architectural styles.

Ah gee this is real nice! Just hope they keep the silvery white glass. Who would had known a few more curves and shinier glass could turn a tombstone into a Luxury perfume bottle! Only if hullmark went with a bold design as well this intersection would had looked like it was from the space age!

It's ok and will be a decent addition to the Sheppard-Yonge node of the North York skyline.

However, this highlights to me how subjective one's appreciation of architecture can be, when you have such high praise for this design and in the same day post of your dislike for the new Globe & Mail building. For me, Globe & Mail is a far superior building.

I know every opinion is personal. The 4800 yonge has an incredible harmony and beauty.
Beauty is in harmony,transition in color and nice cladding.
We don t have many like that in Toronto.
For the globe and mail headquarter,i love the style but the transition in color is not the best.

It's a tower plopped onto of a podium. There's very little harmony there. The tower design is a gimmick as well. Now, there's room for gimmicks but this one needs to be slimmed down by a lot, dropped to grade (no podium) and, proposed on a lot not much bigger than its footprint to get my thumbs up.

A like the form of the tower but I agree about the podium. It looks like a mounted trophy but perhaps that is what they were aiming for. As with all these condos it will come down to the quality of the cladding.

As with all these condos it will come down to the quality of the cladding.

In that case we are doomed.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...wallman-architects.14938/page-29#post-1153468

Photo by @Froggy

DSCN0933.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0933.JPG
    DSCN0933.JPG
    863 KB · Views: 943
I am glad to see they submitted their site approval to the city.
Now ,i wonder when this beauty will be approved and ready to be marketed ?
Thank you for your answer everyone .
:)

Question, is it possible for a new building to reduce the wind in the area? For example, the building help increase airflow?

I find in this area it is extremely windy and some doors do not even close as a result (e.g. Emerald Park)

New buildings increase the wind speed around them. Moving air, when encountering a barrier, is forced to speed up by the air pushing it from behind. As it also normally has to change direction too, you also get turbulence where the air moving in different directions meet.

The trick with designing buildings in windy, densely packed areas, is to create pedestrians zones that are sheltered from the main direction of the winds. That's why the city wants podiums and canopies: wind racing down the side of a building will be deflected by the podium roof or the canopy. Down the side of buildings is not the only place from where winds hit the sidewalk though, so design has got to be more rigorous, as Bazis is learning.

Oh no !
I thought that the project was close to have all the necessary permits to be built. In December 2016,they applied for a SPA ,which is the final process of municipal approval.
Will we have to wait another 4-5 Years again to see the beginning of the marketing for the tower ?
I am so worry for this project. It's so rare something that beautiful in the GTA .
Thank you in advance for your answer someone .

Oh no !
I thought that the project was close to have all the necessary permits to be built. In December 2016,they applied for a SPA ,which is the final process of municipal approval.
Will we have to wait another 4-5 Years again to see the beginning of the marketing for the tower ?
I am so worry for this project. It's so rare something that beautiful in the GTA .
Thank you in advance for your answer someone .

This site with direct connection to 2 subway lines at southwest corner of Yonge&Sheppard is zoned for 100% commercial office only,.... Menkes want to build 49 storey residential condo with a few token retail-office floors. Menkes proposal is very far off from what's allowed,....

Lots of condo projects seem stalled in NorthYorkCentre now,.... Conservatory PearlPlace & Ruby, Group Ellie-Condo, Diamente Diamond, Newtonbrook Plaza redevelopment, 5959 Yonge, etc,...

As for "I am so worry for this project. It's so rare something that beautiful in the GTA .",..... go through the Bazis' EmeraldPark thread,.... before and during construction it was basically supposed to be "so rare something that beautiful in the GTA",... it was to be Toronto's Absolute Condo! Now look at Bazis' EmeraldPark,.... covered in Dollarama green,... us neighbours, call it "the green monster"!!!

And what's Menkes' reputation for building rare beautiful condo towers???? Just look around NorthYorkCentre,... where Menkes rule for decades,.... absolutely _____ ,... not really known for rare beautiful condo towers,....

Menkes literally applied for OMB on the very last eligible day,...... just before the only option became TLAB.
TLAB is only for minor variances and consents. This is a rezoning, so it goes to the OMB regardless.

The switch-over day is also (I believe) based on the date of the initial application, not the date of the appeal.

Back