Toronto 467 Wellington West | 80.73m | 23s | SmartCentres | Turner Fleischer

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application for a 23s residential tower at the south east corner of Wellington and Draper, right beside 'The Well'.

Basic info and link below, then the details.

1660640860299.png

Site as is (per Streetview):

1660640937476.png

1660641000679.png

Heritage Status: Building Listed, but not designated.

Owner is a numbered Co; but Smart Centres are listed as the client on some docs.

...That said, *Docs are Up*

Description:

1660641073954.png

Project Stats:

1660641202349.png

Renders:

1660641276067.png

1660641302743.png

1660641364119.png

1660641421429.png

1660641560355.png

1660641601382.png

Quick Commentary:

Ugh! Sigh!

Poor Draper Street!

Can we just disband Smart Centres now?

Dissolution of Turner Fleischer cannot come soon enough.

Honestly, while not that tall in the Toronto or area context, this feels overbearing on the intimate section of Draper. Needs greater setbacks from the south and west property lines if something is to happen here.
I would like to see more heritage preservation along Draper, and failing that a podium more sympathetic to the street.

As T-F buildings go, this one would be fine in a Wal-Mart parking lot; but is below the standard I would hope for here, though at least the idea of brick is there.....

We'll finish w/the materials detail shot for the lower levels and ....well........its regrettably very T-F:

1660642112841.png

1660642149060.png

Details Matter. (or at least they should)

Last edited:
I don’t think this looks that bad - I also don’t feel bad for anyone on Draper street when those townhouses are a cool 2 million each.

Furthest west Well midrise is Woodbourne's black-brick rental, which is looking boatloads better than Tridel's garbage. But I'm splitting hairs...

SmartCentres continues to show they could care less as to how their buildings look in Toronto. Vaughan will always be "home" for them per se, while they keep unleashing some form of dreck in Toronto.

This is just a pure insult to the historical buildings on this site and yet again i'm dumbfounded as to how these aren't historically designated. It's like HPS is asleep at the wheel, and react only when something is proposed (yes lack of funding by our status quo mayor doesnt help but still).

As an aside, I wish Allied just acquired this site here. SmartCentres clearly couldnt care less about what's currently on site.

Allied has turned off the taps on all current and near-future acquisitions. Also, unless the price was bargain basement, what would they even do with these?

I'm happy to see some brown precast brick to compliment the buildings beside it. While keeping the facades of the old buildings below it lol!

Lifetime got pushed back to 14 storeys immediately across Draper to the west at 485 Wellington W, having submitted the proposal at 16 storeys initially. Maybe this site would be close enough to the upcoming King-Bathurst Ontario Line 3 station to make a difference for SmartCentres, but that's the only thing that would have changed since Lifetime went after zoning for 485. I believe the City will push back against the full height-ask here.

They will push back with force. And given that PMTSAs don't exist in Planning's opinion, that fact isn't really anything but fodder for a future tribunal fight, which is where this will end up anyways.

Allied has turned off the taps on all current and near-future acquisitions. Also, unless the price was bargain basement, what would they even do with these?
Well this is really unfortunate to hear.

It's Allied though, so I have no doubt they would've found innovative uses for this site. They dont take traditional approaches with quite a handful of their projects.

Well this is really unfortunate to hear.

It's Allied though, so I have no doubt they would've found innovative uses for this site. They dont take traditional approaches with quite a handful of their projects.
This is SmartCentres, not Allied.

Back