Toronto 452 Bathurst | 25.05m | 6s | Starbank | BDP Quadrangle

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
452 BATHURST ST
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

Development Applications

Project description:
Zoning By-law Amendment application to facilitate the redevelopment of the site for a 6-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 365.70 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 5,543.5 square metres. A total of 49 residential dwelling units are proposed.

This site is currently home to a Beer Store

f689f5c027ff56cbc9fd540b758d2865.jpg

Interesting fact: The Beer store on Dupont near Bathurst recently closed down, soon to be a condo. Customers there were encouraged to go to 452 Bathurst.
I guess those who want beer bad enough will soon have to go further and further away to get their beer fix! lol

Interesting fact: The Beer store on Dupont near Bathurst recently closed down, soon to be a condo. Customers there were encouraged to go to 452 Bathurst.
I guess those who want beer bad enough will soon have to go further and further away to get their beer fix! lol

Getting a brew won't be an issue for folks in either area when it comes to life after the Beer Stores are gone. Up along Dupont, the LCBO has opened at the new Litho rental building, and the Loblaws at Christie carries beer as well from my understanding. While around the Bathurst & College area, there's an LCBO a few blocks west on College near Palmerston. Getting further out but there's also the Metro at College & Crawford, along with bottle shops at Collective Arts on Dundas West or Bellwoods Brewery on Ossington if someone really wanted to.

Getting a brew won't be an issue for folks in either area when it comes to life after the Beer Stores are gone. Up along Dupont, the LCBO has opened at the new Litho rental building, and the Loblaws at Christie carries beer as well from my understanding. While around the Bathurst & College area, there's an LCBO a few blocks west on College near Palmerston. Getting further out but there's also the Metro at College & Crawford, along with bottle shops at Collective Arts on Dundas West or Bellwoods Brewery on Ossington if someone really wanted to.
You make a good point, but how long before someone realizes that the Dupont Loblaws land is a good place to build a condo? Just a thought...

You make a good point, but how long before someone realizes that the Dupont Loblaws land is a good place to build a condo? Just a thought...

Oh yeah, no doubt. That Loblaws is a prime location for redevelopment, especially when looking at the pace of activity along Dupont. Wouldn't be surprised if something gets proposed for it within the upcoming decade or so for the next wave of development. Although with the current Loblaws operations being a huge cash cow and steady income generator, Choice REIT who own the property may not be be in the most immediate rush to move on it. But they could always structure it where Loblaws can return as a lead tenant when the new building is complete.

Oh yeah, no doubt. That Loblaws is a prime location for redevelopment, especially when looking at the pace of activity along Dupont. Wouldn't be surprised if something gets proposed for it within the upcoming decade or so for the next wave of development. Although with the current Loblaws operations being a huge cash cow and steady income generator, Choice REIT who own the property may not be be in the most immediate rush to move on it. But they could always structure it where Loblaws can return as a lead tenant when the new building is complete.
I think the other problem is, Loblaws (Dupont) doesn't want to let go of their current square footage. Larger than what Sobey's once was, & still larger than what Farm Boy will be.
Moving to the ground level of the Oscar condos (where Dupont beer store used to be) might mean a store that is too small for what they would like to maintain.
& then you have parking issues and where to put the Garden centre in the summer...

Last edited:
I think the other problem is, Loblaws (Dupont) doesn't want to let go of their current square footage. Larger than what Sobey's once was, & still larger than what Farm Boy will be.
Moving to the ground level of the Oscar condos (where Dupont beer store used to be) might mean a store that is too small for what they would like to maintain.
& then you have parking issues and where to put the Garden centre in the summer...

Loblaws will definitely want a large space if they were to return to the Dupont location in the event of a redevelopment. Not necessarily proportionate to the size of that current store but the Loblaws at Queen & Portland and Empress Walk at North York Centre are examples where they can be integrated within newer mixed-use condo projects in more urban format though. Along with the one just east of Yonge & Eg at the Madison condos to a lesser degree.

However with that said, since the current Dupont store is so established and lucrative, I'm only speculating around a 50:50 chance that something could happen in the next decade in terms of redevelopment.

Back