Toronto 438 Avenue Road | 89.2m | 24s | GALA | Arcadis

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate the development of the site for a 24-storey residential building having a gross floor area of 17,326 square metres, and containing 223 dwelling units. 138 vehicle parking spaces and 236 bicycle parking spaces are proposed within 4 levels of below grade parking structure.

http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=khYm/Yam8oJfJ5BOlPtF3A==

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 7.09.47 AM.png

438/440 Avenue Road, as they appear on Streetview:

1625138538432.png

The Balmoral frontage from Streetview:

1625138605970.png

Aerial View of site, with area calculation:

1625138740406.png

None of the properties appear on the Heritage register in either a listed or a designated form, so the site could be cleared. (not much there is remarkable, at least in its current form)

It looks the 2 bringing up the rear on Balmoral are actually relatively recent builds.

Contextually interesting is that these are the only 2 SFH that survive on that section of Avenue Road:

(looking south from Balmoral)

1625139200624.png

Looking North from Balmoral:

1625139247077.png

Last edited:
This is a pretty central location so I'd like to see the parking ratio reduced to under .5 spaces per unit.

Permitting myself to dream for a second, one desirable long term vision for Avenue would be to cut one traffic lane in each direction in favour of a good BRT line; build up the density and turn the whole place into a Grand Avenue (yes, I'm very clever).

In the very long term, the increased density and transit ridership could lay the foundation for a Bay Street subway line extending north to St. Clair via Avenue. Okay, time to stop dreaming!

This is a pretty central location so I'd like to see the parking ratio reduced to under .5 spaces per unit.

100% yes. I'm assuming the number is swinging high because the proponent will be aiming for the high-end/luxury market.

Permitting myself to dream for a second, one desirable long term vision for Avenue would be to cut one traffic lane in each direction

Yes.
in favour of a good BRT line;

Not really sold, the sidewalks are super narrow and need to be widened for safety; cycle tracks, which would be a natural northward extension of those on University would also make sense, that uses up all the room from a 1-lane per direction cut.

Avenue and St. Clair has an E-W LRT and 2 subway stations fairly close, I'm not sure another higher-order transit option for N-S travel is required here.

build up the density and turn the whole place into a Grand Avenue (yes, I'm very clever).

You have your moments, LOL (ducks)

For the life of me, if we were to spend $$$ renaming a road, Avenue Road would take priority for being offensively unoriginal.

Last edited:
Hmmm, looks to be aiming for a 'Deco' type flavour.............but the render doesn't quite work for me............

The massing is wrong for the 'look'......too chunky. There's also some stylistic mish-mash going on.

Could be dreadful w/the wrong material palate. (which I think we may be looking at)

Last edited:
The people to the West of Avenue / South of St Clair were livid during the community meeting for the 175 through 195 St Clair Avenue West proposal - can't wait to hear them complain about this one too!

I'm learning a bit more about your particular brand of masochism........ while it may prove worthy of academic study, I'm not sure I needed to know that about you. LOL

This is really aggressive. The OPA makes sense to add the two Balmoral dwellings but the setback to the south may tank this thing. I agree with David, this public meeting will be one for the ages! It's almost asking to be cut down a few floors from the renderings.

It's not perfect but I like the precast cladding, black window frames, and the refreshing absence of cheap plastic spandrel and staggered windows

It just needs more finer grained detailing on the street level as well as the crown. I expect it will also get chopped down by 5 floors.

Some bay windows, arches, and relief columns on the lower and street levels would've been nice to soften the transition to the ground level. I'd also like to see some retail and more planters/street furniture.

The pattern on the balcony dividers is also too generic and should be improved.

Last edited:

Back