Toronto 425 Bloor West | 105.4m | 30s | The Brown Group | Arcadis

Thank you for the detailed response. It's nice to know that the issue has been settled with clear technical evidence. So much for a unique building feature! No Frank Lloyd Wright designs homage than! We could have called it "Flowing Water" #FrankLLoydWright #FallingWater😁

Although I agree that the arrangement of arches along the podium looks awkward, I applaud the arch motif in general - it's elegant and hearkens back to historical norms. I hope they keep that motif and give more attention to symmetry and spacing.
Might look a bit awkward but is adding character, is nice seeing a different design. Not always the same style that we are used to see around. Agreed that it’s elegant

Might look a bit awkward but is adding character, is nice seeing a different design. Not always the same style that we are used to see around. Agreed that it’s elegant
I agree. I really want to see this project happen because it's an excellent example of a design that's visually interesting and has some weight and depth to it. But the street level really needs some work.

13 months later, we have a resubmission:

1706368398369.png

1706368430354.png

** pause, this next bit is everything..... just saying........ **

1706368466906.png

** Excellent!** moving along.

1706368508846.png

1706368533762.png

1706368561169.png

First we need to flag @Paclo to document the changes; then; of course I brought renders:

1706368672807.png

1706368700701.png

Which means we must flag @3Dementia as well.

As far as renders go, I’m a huge fan of this project as currently envisioned. Love the window design for the podium, which isn’t something that usually sticks out in a good way.
Fingers crossed this goes well. Can’t say I know anything about the reputation of the developer.

I'm a fan of the podium switch to many smaller arched windows... kinda getting echoes of a Parkdale industrial building.

My only quibble is the corner glazing that cuts through the brick on either side and lands on the street with a thud. Would rather have seen the same treatment of the first two brick/arch floors on this corner as well (stopping the glazing above those floors).

But all in all I'll happily take a half dozen more (a couple in yellow/orange brick please) of these anywhere that 30 storeys is appropriate downtown.

Potential Future Developments? That can't be, the JCC is on that corner.

They've been socializing that prospect with the development industry for years now.
That doesn’t surprise me as the current facility is seen by some as a little cramped and selling air rights could fund an up to date facility that is needed by the city’s growing Jewish population. In addition the JCCs further north have been extensively renovated.

There is easily room on the JCC site for one tower. Because the building to the south is pretty much abutting the site, 2 towers is a very tight fit.

There's some sense to it, and it would allow for some much needed sidewalk widening; but its no panacea financially, a rebuilt JCC with top tier facilities will come at a steep price.

Last edited:
Redevelopment of the JCC into a potentially larger facility as part of a mixed use tower has always been on the table.
My apologies...I had always assumed (and poorly so) that since it was a community centre with a significant facelift done to it, it was off limits when it came to any further development. So I had no idea there was all this back channel business of wanting to significantly evolve it. Perhaps I should of read The Gleaner more... >.<

I'm very unhappy with the tone of this thread: Stop trying to demolish my pool. It's damn hard to find full size salt-water pools in Toronto and Sheraton Hotel (the only other one IIRC) refuses to sell monthly gym passes.

Back