Oakville 42 Lakeshore Road West | 40.86m | 10s | Hirsh Development Group | Icon

wopchop

Building Toronto
Member Bio
Reaction score
This one has attempted and aborted a few times now over the last 5 years. The existing house and magnolia tree are being retained.
The house itself is on the heritage registrar, and dates back to 1865.

42 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville
Description: 5 storey mixed use building, with 41 residential units and 594 m2 of retail area

Development Application: https://www.oakville.ca/business/sp-34295.html

Google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/spb3hdKaefPMR1jo7

1659730661689.png

1659730749609.png

1659731066926.png
PXL_20220805_203935182.jpg
PXL_20220805_203937048.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220805_203929644.jpg
    PXL_20220805_203929644.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Ok. Let’s see if this gets off the ground because the former three (?) applications have gone no where. And I do not remember all the circumstances. Five stories should fit in. Lots of work to be done to restore the heritage building, it has really been run into the ground and left to the weather.

Ok. Let’s see if this gets off the ground because the former three (?) applications have gone no where. And I do not remember all the circumstances. Five stories should fit in. Lots of work to be done to restore the heritage building, it has really been run into the ground and left to the weather.
Just went on Google maps to look at the heritage building. It's barely standing up. Such a shame. I hate to say it, but you may as well just knock it down. The amount of work they'll have to put into the house, I doubt there will be anything original left.

Just went on Google maps to look at the heritage building. It's barely standing up. Such a shame. I hate to say it, but you may as well just knock it down. The amount of work they'll have to put into the house, I doubt there will be anything original left.
You are correct but I hate to agree. It just encourages any developer to do the same. It is hard enough to hold onto any history in the Halton Region where protections are slim.

I walked past the site on the weekend, I know the area quite well. And after walking past and looking at the proposal I am not as nearly in agreement with the proposed development as I was at first glance. No issues with the height, but as designed, this is a big ‘block’, crowded up to the sidewalks, which are narrow enough to begin with. No room for public amenities, no sidewalk space, no provision for bike parking etc. I would be pushing for changes. This is a prominent corner property with the chance to improve the public realm for this stretch of Lakeshore (where there is bound to be more infill and replacement of existing one store commercial uses).

Overview of additional changes from the pre-consultation to the current submission:

Total units increased from 42 to 152.

Total vehicular parking increased from 90 to 183.

Total bicycle parking is now 154.

Total commercial GFA increased from 594.27 to 630 m2.

Additionally, a steel frame heritage structure and interpretive landscape is proposed to replace the existing designated McCraney-Robertson heritage house (c. 1880) located the northwest corner of the property. Additional details on the heritage property and photos can be found in the Heritage impact assessment prepared by ERA.

Updated renderings from the submission package:
da-171525-ArchDwgs-S1-0.jpg
da-171525-ArchDwgs-S1-37.jpg

It is good to see, with reservations, that they have resolved the building on this long open lot. I went to the site last night in the dark and tried to visualize the building with my phone.

I have stared at the renders a couple of times now, and someone else will have to comment on the architectural merits to the building. I know some of the locals will, and have grumped about the height, and I would to some extent as well, except that the setback on the upper stories appears to lesson the mass hanging over the street, and I think it looks not so bad I am sure the community to the south is not going to be happy about balconies hanging over their backyards some 30 meters in the air. However, no specific public comments were received at the general meeting that I heard so perhaps Oakville is not as NIMBY as some would suggest (although from experience and from the former and current fights over historical designation, that comment may be a stretch! Not so sure about some of my neighbours these days). I have not quite figured out the setbacks from Lakeshore, however on the drawings they appear skimpy and that is a concern.

Car lovers will drool over the proposed 183 parking spots...really? But those are the current zoning requirements and the developer seems happy to not contest those requirements. Bicycle storage will be set at 154 units, which well exceeds the requirement of 30 spaces

My beef is the fate of the historical building on site. And not necessarily with the proposed remediation and honoring of what was. But with the ability of the succession of developers to allow the historical property to fall into such a state of disrepair that anyone looking at the building would have no inkling of what was. (The attached Heritage Impact Report gives details of what was, what is, and what can be). This building was designated many years ago, and to the developers credit (maybe?) some efforts were made to save exterior details and shore up deteriorating structure. But there is no teeth to the act that forces a purchaser to actively and ongoingly, preserve, remediate, fix and repair the exterior envelope of any building. And I have watched this building deteriorate over the years with the very minimal efforts made at any preservation. And now we are left with nothing. And this happens far too often in Halton, there are some prime current examples in Palermo. and certainly in other areas of Ontario as well (Cabbage town fires?)

The report does reference two other building across the street - 31 Lakeshore and 37 Lakeshore. 31 Lakeshore is the home of Tradition de France, something we referenced on a previous thread about a site in on 115 Trafalgar in Oakville. Highly recommended. Worth a ride on the GO along with your bike.

And 37 Lakeshore is just one of those buildings that must be retained.

It will be interesting to see the impact of this decision in the Kerr Village area - there are two corners at Lakeshore and Kerr, there are a number of one story retail plazas just to the west of Kerr, and to the east of this building towards the river And then Kerr Village itself.

Attachments

• HeritageImpactAssessement-S142Lakeshore.pdf
    8.8 MB · Views: 44

Back