42 Lakeshore Road West (Oakville) | 23.02m | 5s | Hirsh Development Group | Tyler Wilkinson Architect

wopchop

Building Toronto
Member Bio
Reaction score
This one has attempted and aborted a few times now over the last 5 years. The existing house and magnolia tree are being retained.
The house itself is on the heritage registrar, and dates back to 1865.

42 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville
Description: 5 storey mixed use building, with 41 residential units and 594 m2 of retail area

Development Application: https://www.oakville.ca/business/sp-34295.html

Google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/spb3hdKaefPMR1jo7

1659730661689.png

1659730749609.png

1659731066926.png
PXL_20220805_203935182.jpg
PXL_20220805_203937048.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220805_203929644.jpg
    PXL_20220805_203929644.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

just east of the creek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok. Let’s see if this gets off the ground because the former three (?) applications have gone no where. And I do not remember all the circumstances. Five stories should fit in. Lots of work to be done to restore the heritage building, it has really been run into the ground and left to the weather.

Bojaxs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok. Let’s see if this gets off the ground because the former three (?) applications have gone no where. And I do not remember all the circumstances. Five stories should fit in. Lots of work to be done to restore the heritage building, it has really been run into the ground and left to the weather.
Just went on Google maps to look at the heritage building. It's barely standing up. Such a shame. I hate to say it, but you may as well just knock it down. The amount of work they'll have to put into the house, I doubt there will be anything original left.

just east of the creek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just went on Google maps to look at the heritage building. It's barely standing up. Such a shame. I hate to say it, but you may as well just knock it down. The amount of work they'll have to put into the house, I doubt there will be anything original left.
You are correct but I hate to agree. It just encourages any developer to do the same. It is hard enough to hold onto any history in the Halton Region where protections are slim.

I walked past the site on the weekend, I know the area quite well. And after walking past and looking at the proposal I am not as nearly in agreement with the proposed development as I was at first glance. No issues with the height, but as designed, this is a big ‘block’, crowded up to the sidewalks, which are narrow enough to begin with. No room for public amenities, no sidewalk space, no provision for bike parking etc. I would be pushing for changes. This is a prominent corner property with the chance to improve the public realm for this stretch of Lakeshore (where there is bound to be more infill and replacement of existing one store commercial uses).