Toronto 4181 Sheppard East | 124.5m | 39s | Sarbern Developments Inc | CMV

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The lobbyist registry tells us something is stirring here.

This is a site located at the s/w corner of Midland and Sheppard Avenue East.

Site as is, per Streetview:

1686057144179.png

Aerial Pic:

1686057321201.png

Site size: ~1.9ha / just shy of 5 acres

This site was the subject of a previous proposal, in 2017, which it appears we here at UT did not cover.

From the above, the previous iteration imagined 80 townhouse units and a small park.

Given that this site fronts Sheppard which may now have a subway on offer and is walking distance to the Stouffville Line's Agincourt Station, I would imagine any new ask being for substantially greater density, likely in a different built form.

Last edited:
The lobbyist registry tells us something is stirring here.

This is a site located at the s/w corner of Midland and Sheppard Avenue East.

Site as is, per Streetview:

View attachment 483218

Aerial Pic:

View attachment 483219

Site size: ~1.9ha / just shy of 5 acres

This site was the subject of a previous proposal, in 2017, which it appears we here at UT did not cover.

From the above, the previous iteration imagined 80 townhouse units and a small park.

Given that this site front Sheppard which may now have a subway on offer and is walking distance to the Stouffville Line's Agincourt Station, I would imagine any new ask being for substantially greater density, likely in a different built form.
finally the abandoned flea market will be demolished

Hoping for something big here. 300 metres away from Agincourt and it will (eventually) be on a subway line. Also within a 2km radius of Scarborough Town Centre.

The proposal for this lot from 2017 was for a 2-storey townhome complex. I think you could easily have a 2 tower development here, and even squeeze a third in there if they wanted to.

Hoping for something big here. 300 metres away from Agincourt and it will (eventually) be on a subway line. Also within a 2km radius of Scarborough Town Centre.

The proposal for this lot from 2017 was for a 2-storey townhome complex. I think you could easily have a 2 tower development here, and even squeeze a third in there if they wanted to.

I haven't mapped it all out, but would concur 2 is easy enough; but keep in mind, before adding too much more, not only an on-site park provision, but also the need for a road, and a buffer or crashwall next to the CP Mainline.

This one's application in the AIC is now up.

I said I suspected a bit more density........

From 80 townhouse units to 1,009 residential units in 3 buildings of 39s, 34s and 12s.

1688731357722.png

From the Docs:

1688731559142.png

1688731590626.png

1688731613692.png

Site Plan:

1688731932387.png

Ground Floor Plan: Building A
1688731681472.png

Ground Floor Plan: Buildings B and C

1688731779460.png

Elevator Ratio (site wide) 9 elevators to 1,009 units so roughly 0.9 / 100 units

Building C, however, comes up light in the above, with only 3 elevators covering over 370 units

Parking Ratio: (resident parking only) 0.66 spaces per unit

Comments: I take no issue w/the height density; nearby SFH may, but should not, as I expect this entire super-block (Midland/Sheppard/CPR) will be developed. As such height approved here should increase the value of nearby homes.

The architecture, one hopes, is placeholder, as it seems more like massing drawings that anything else.

However, I don't like what I see over-all, as currently conceived.

The Park is questionably situated, and while not quite useless in size, at 2200m2 will never be more than a playground, and is precluded from expansion as sited by being bound in by a new road, Sheppard and this development.

I will illustrate an alternative vision below.

The parking ratio is also exceedingly high for a site on a future subway line, and right next to a future RER GO Station. I would prefer to see it cut by 1/2.

The site should be planned in cooperation w/adjacent owners, ideally, where that is not practical for small, as yet unassembled properties, the City and the proponent(s) should do that together to mesh a
a cohesive thought together.

One further note, I think the proponent/Planning should be reaching out to the province on the question of the subway. I think a Midland Station is unlikely but that should be confirmed, as were that in the plans, it might conflict w/this proposal.

This is where I would like to see the park in this super-block:

1688732869555.png

An aerial of the above in summer:

1688732978597.png

It's a full woodlot on the southern portion of the property abutting the proponent's to the east. This appears to be a Bell Canada property based on the building fronting Sheppard, I assume they have no use for the rear of it.

If they intend to keep the current building on Sheppard, severance might actually be surprisingly cheap.

But the property would need access to the west side of the super-block which is why I included a few homes, this also allows for a playground next to the woodlot. That would be charming.

The Park I would put in would be ~1.5ha and would represent an over dedication even for the entire block; but I would like to see the dedication portion covered by developers here and the City use parkland acquisition funds to cover the balance.

It would then make sense to me to line up the new E-W road in this proposal to extend throughout the super-block to the west to service future development.

The developer would then be free to build out the balance of the Sheppard-facing block and create a vibrant retail-frontage rather than a dubiously-placed park.

Last edited:
Watching to see if any "Affordable Rental" deal gets done on the submission by the City and Local Councillor...

Back