Toronto 415 Yonge | 231m | 66s | Marwest | Kirkor Architects

I'm not implying it was spandrel glass cheap. The choice to use a thinner rather than a thicker tile was a budgetary move that didn't pay off.

Carrara Marble is quite porous/permeable and very prone to discolouration.

A thicker tile may have last longer, but wouldn't likely have aged any better in terms of appearance.

Here's another photo of the site from yesterday. Likely to lose the majority of this view in the next 10-15 years, including the CN Tower - which should be obstructed by Chelsea Gardens.

27071302798_3aad58e6b8_k.jpg

Aside from being utter garbage, the details of this one are interesting: namely, that the McGill Parkette is technically on 415 Yonge's property. I'm sure this was addressed in the planning docs but without the board to run to, I wonder how Marwest aims to reconcile this with Planning.

Request for Interim Directions Report: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-124259.pdf
This Report responds to an application which could be appealed to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (the "LPAT") due to Council's failure to make a decision on the application within the time prescribed by the Planning Act.

[...]

The proposed development in its current form is not consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement (2014) and does not conform to the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (2017), and does not conform to the City's Official Plan and Zoning By-law. In particular, the proposed built form does not have appropriate regard to the development policies, standards and guidelines established by the City to ensure that a proposal fits within its existing and planned built form context which require that development provide for an appropriate transition to adjacent neighbourhoods, between adjacent sites and minimize impacts on park resources. Additionally, the proposal provides for inadequate parking and outdoor amenity space.

Hmm? 14 months later and nothing

Application Type Rezoning Application Number: 17 278848 STE 27 OZ Details Rezoning, Standard Application Date: December 22, 2017
Municipal Address: 409-415 YONGE ST and 9-17 MCGILL ST Location Description: PLAN 377 PT LOTS 1 TO 5 7 AND 8 AND PT LANE AND PLAN 606 PT LANE RP 63R387 PART 4 **GRID S2712
Project Description: Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate the addition of a 42-storey residential tower on top of the existing 19-storey office building.
The overall building height is 61-storeys (239.35 metres). Total GFA 53,064.8 square metres, consisting of 16,936.3 square metres of existing non-residential GFA and 36,128.5 square metres of proposed residential GFA.

If Marwest is really interested in developing this, they should go for a settlement because city is not going to approve this in its current form.

Kirkor architects posted a video on their instagram story which shows a different design and it looks taller too, and i think the office tower is gone, cant really tell. podium looks cool. is there a way to share instagram stories over here?

That futuristic shaped building that once was thought to go on the Portland area.. still has me hooked on the design. Great to see it as a model and back in circulation.even if it never ever sees the lights in Toronto. It’s a great looking design.

On topic of this building however. I like the design. But hate how it’s just plopped on the older building. Maybe if we’re on som slight angle instead of dead centred over it.

I personally don't like the design. I don't think it will turn out well, likely just too clunky.

I think the density and heights are appropriate though, you've got precedent next door for a nice and tall building but they need to balance the height with a better design.

Back