Toronto 415 Yonge | 231m | 66s | Marwest | Kirkor Architects

I like both buildings for different reasons but together? It just doesn't add up. There is something rotten in Denmark here. There must be some sort of hidden agenda here with the developers.

The addition looks nice but the old building needs to blend in a little better with the new. One way to do this is to take the middle parts of the Concreate facade being take off for the new section. Blend it in onto the top of the new building in some form. Use a brown tone facade instead of the same blue green on the new part to blend in a little better !

Even setting aside, for a moment, both the incongruity between the original building and proposed addition and the possible inability of Kirkor to pull off something that looks close to what is rendered, the addition here bears striking resemblance to the DC Tower in Vienna (I'd say to the point where it's more than paying homage to or borrowing from).

upload_2018-1-5_10-51-51.png

upload_2018-1-5_10-52-53.png

upload_2018-1-5_10-53-1.png

source for all images

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-5_10-51-51.png
    upload_2018-1-5_10-51-51.png
    526.7 KB · Views: 861
  • upload_2018-1-5_10-52-53.png
    upload_2018-1-5_10-52-53.png
    314.7 KB · Views: 760
  • upload_2018-1-5_10-53-1.png
    upload_2018-1-5_10-53-1.png
    393.1 KB · Views: 798
It could work if they reclad the existing building.

I would love to see a developer really compliment the old with the new. By using more of the same materials from the old building into the new ! Instead recladding the old to fit the new building. We have so much stone in are neck of the woods. Canadian Shield !! Let's put the stone cutters to work.

I would love to see a developer really compliment the old with the new. By using more of the same materials from the old building into the new ! Instead recladding the old to fit the new building. We have so much stone in are neck of the woods. Canadian Shield !! Let's put the stone cutters to work.
Stone would be nice but it is heavy (costs) and stains easily. Down the road you have to reclad anyway (a.k.a. FCP)

It's odd that granite is relatively rarely used as a cladding or paving material in the city, even though it's quite attractive and there's so much of it in Ontario. I love the granite mosaic sidewalks along Queens Quay and the outcroppings at Sugar Beach and Village of Yorkville Park.

Back