Toronto 415 Yonge | 231m | 66s | Marwest | Kirkor Architects

What part of Yonge street in the city of Toronto could a developer not build an 70 floor condo? Excepting the strip around Lawrence and York Mills - most of the rest of it seems like fair game.

450%20yonge%201.jpg

I like the tower, but it's kind of awkwardly face sitting on the original building. If the original building had been a notable structure, I would applaud this, but this just looks very strange without recladding.

I like the angled planes and it will have a slim profile viewed from east/west. Hard to get around that stark incongruity with the original building. I do quite like the sturdiness and strong lines of that original building, and with so much characterless glass and spandrel going up everywhere it's a shame to lose all these 60's and 70's buildings which used different materials.

Reminds me of a taller, less bulky version of Tour Majunga in La Défense

I was thinking this was Kirkor's inspiration also. Unlike H+P, Kirkor always messes up plagiarizing others. This looks just awful and I mean both just the new and the new with the old.

I like the tower, but it's kind of awkwardly face sitting on the original building. If the original building had been a notable structure, I would applaud this, but this just looks very strange without recladding.

Also doesn’t help that it is rendered on a still image taken from Google Earth. But that’s also good thing, showing that this is still in it’s very early design stages. Details will likely be ironed out in future revisions, I don’t see the lower facade staying.

Back