Toronto 41-45 Spadina Road | 55.5m | 15s | ProWinko | a—A

GabrielHurl

Member Bio
Reaction score

Zoning By-law Amendment for a 10-storey residential addition to the existing 5-storey heritage building. The proposed development includes 70 new residential dwelling units.

Never seen a floating addition like this before

Render 1.jpg
Render 2.jpg
Render 3.jpg
Render 4.jpg
Render 5.jpg

First things first : "No"

Now, onto the Docs:

From the Cover Letter:

1719328005451.png

Site Plan:

1719328156381.png

I want to focus on this one render:

1719328288719.png

So you're going to support this box using a massive structural column into the Courtyard, which you will shadow 24/7 hereafter for all eternity, rendering it dark and lifeless?

And a new structural wall is also off to one side on the south and it will block entirely multiple additional windows:

1719328527882.png

This renders a large number of the units in the existing building uninhabitable from my perspective.

Really interesting concept. Cool design. I wonder how they'll treat the rental units and existing tenants as part of this.

With 70 new units proposed and a land purchase of $21m in 2018, I cannot fathom how this will turn a profit - either as a condo or rental product.

First things first : "No"

Now, onto the Docs:

From the Cover Letter:

View attachment 575475

Site Plan:

View attachment 575478

I want to focus on this one render:

View attachment 575479

So you're going to support this box using a massive structural column into the Courtyard, which you will shadow 24/7 hereafter for all eternity, rendering it dark and lifeless?

And a new structural wall is also off to one side on the south and it will block entirely multiple additional windows:

View attachment 575480

This renders a large number of the units in the existing building uninhabitable from my perspective.

Considering the number of units gained - I consider the trade (which I don't see being that severe) to be more than fair - and it certainly beats the alternative of gutting the entire existing building to add structural support needed to build atop.

AoD

Curious: when people say the number of units doesn’t cover the cost of the lot what price point do they think the units will go for?

Back