Toronto 409 Huron | 18m | 5s | Impressions Group | MAR Architect Inc

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...4569018&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

409 HURON ST
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

Proposed rezoning of the City of Toronto 438-86 By-Law for a development of a low-rise 4-storey apartment building 15.89m tall with a total of 90 residential units and total new residential floor area of 2264.2m2 on an existing 1090 m2 lot.

There's a fair amount of build-able parking space surrounding the existing Victorian, which I hope is maintained.

Also found there's this interesting laneway/coach house along bpNichol Lane that dates back to 1880, which is separate from the Huron property.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/04/toronto-house-bp-nichol-lane/

Last edited:
This building is not on the heritage register.

I bet the 4 stories is well within the height and density limit. I’d bet they could try to go a couple floors higher but maybe not worth it.

FWIW there is a studio up for rent here currently so who knows what the timeline is here.

I like the modern section. Not sure of the part where it gloms onto/absorbs the heritage component though. Perhaps if colour or textures/material were used as a unifying force. On its face, this feels kind of jarring.

Supporting materials are now online:

Looks great and it's good to see heritage preservation, but I think a red/brown/charcoal brick + interesting brickwork with some depth would work better than the white.

Now, let's see how the neighbours are going to overreact.

Last edited:
We have a shortage of affordable apartments in Toronto.
409 Huron Street is comprised of occupied studios that tenants can afford.
We hear everyday new affordable housing is being built.
Until then let the tenants in 409 keep their homes!
This Proposal is wrong for a multitude of reasons.

We have a shortage of affordable apartments in Toronto.
409 Huron Street is comprised of occupied studios that tenants can afford.
We hear everyday new affordable housing is being built.
Until then let the tenants in 409 keep their homes!
This Proposal is wrong for a multitude of reasons.
The proposal is to build new student housing/affordable rentals. Not sure what the problem is here

The proposal is to build new student housing/affordable rentals. Not sure what the problem is here

Nowhere in the application material that I have read mentions affordability as a priority or goal for this development. Rental units, yes. Affordable housing, not necessarily.

Nowhere in the application material that I have read mentions affordability as a priority or goal for this development. Rental units, yes. Affordable housing, not necessarily.
Then I guess you should take a closer look at the planning rationale document:

It is our opinion that the proposed rental replacement meets the intent of the housing policies of the Official Plan, in particular Policy 3.2.1(6). In this regard, the proposed development will replace the same number of units with rents at similar rent levels (i.e. affordable or mid-range) and at least with the same mix of unit types generally larger unit sizes.

409 Huron St is mentioned in Spacing's article:

The missing middle and the case for density transition zones

September 25, 2019 | By Blair Scorgie

The last iteration of this one seems to have faded, but a new iteration, still 90 units is alive and kicking.

Curiously, given the static unit total, the proposed building has grown in height by 1s to 5 floors.

1680597059743.png

Before we look at the new renders, a look back to what's here now:

Front:(subject property is on the left, the rest is context)

1680597245909.png

Rear: (subject property is on the right, the rest is context)

1680597175130.png

From the Docs:

1680597351176.png

1680597393110.png

1680597432188.png

1680597568731.png

The Planning Rationale Report, though u/l anew on March 24 '23 is, in fact the same one as 2019 (literally litled as such, w/the previous render.

Back