Toronto 401 Bay Street | 143.86m | 33s | Cadillac Fairview | WZMH

I'm kinda with you on this one. I don't get the sudden over the top hate on the cheap cladding here, considering the hate is coming from some of the same people pushing for "wait until it's finished" mantra on projects like Daniel's City of The Arts condo towers currently being clad in the same materials. Whatever happened to the mantra in this thread?

I think the dislike is fairly evident since it started; not that I am a fan of the residential portion of the City of the Arts - and this project probably uses higher quality material - but you're comparing a carte blanche residential project and the expectations fitting of such to a reclad of an existing office tower that basically wrecked the positive qualities of the building. Apples and oranges.

AoD

I think the dislike is fairly evident since it started; not that I am a fan of the residential portion of the City of the Arts - and this project probably uses higher quality material - but you're comparing a carte blanche residential project and the expectations fitting of such to a reclad of an existing office tower that basically wrecked the positive qualities of the building. Apples and oranges.

AoD

*And* the positive qualities include the *contextual* qualities, i.e. its being a linchpin within the "City Halls precinct", so to speak. (CotA is more "out of sight, out of mind" by comparison.)

Which is something those who knock this thread for overdrama must consider: it's about more than just the design in isolation.

And this is a longstanding issue in UT: one-size-fits-all development geeks who are absolutely *stupidstupidstupidididiotstupid* regarding architectural history, urban history, Toronto history, the whole shebang that doesn't just involve "recent projects". Like, speaking of Queen & Bay as if it were Mississauga City Centre, or even the East Bayfront--tabula rasa situations where so-called design defects can be more readily "absorbed"--and thus, while not necessarily *embracing* the reclad, diminishing the scale of urban obscenity being performed here: "yeah, just another crap design, ho hum", like it might as well be a reclad of an 80s office building in Airport Corporate Centre or something...

Last edited:
I'm kinda with you on this one. I don't get the sudden over the top hate on the cheap cladding here, considering the hate is coming from some of the same people pushing for "wait until it's finished" mantra on projects like Daniel's City of The Arts condo towers currently being clad in the same materials. Whatever happened to the mantra in this thread?

It's garbage here and it's garbage there. No need to finish.

Did I say it was? No. But thank you for assuming.

This thread has been extremely overdramatic since the beginning, and I don't think it has been justified for the most part. People acting like this is the worst thing to happen to the city need to get a grip.

Yeah folks, "get a grip"! Stop being "overdramatic"! Don't expect more from developers! Accept the bottom line!

IMG_1207.JPG

Because the beige concrete crown it has now is so great looking.

I stand by my earlier impressions, this was an ugly building and the reclad while not amazing is still an improvement.

Couldn't disagree more strongly, and I don't even particularly like the original building. The white columns look like they still have their delivery shrink wrapping on, and the horizontal blue-green panels are similarly awful.

This would be a disaster even if it were new build.

Back