401 Bay Street (formerly Simpson Tower) | 143.86m | 33s | Cadillac Fairview | WZMH

emphur

Member Bio
Reaction score
A quick update shot of the podium finishes during a protest today.

PXL_20210508_235515416.jpg

Last edited:

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well...they are wearing masks and not waving Confederate flags, so I think they're safe?

...either way though, can't say the same for the unjust recladding that's being done to being done to the this building at hand. /sigh

emphur

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well...they are wearing masks and not waving Confederate flags, so I think they're safe?

...either way though, can't say the same for the unjust recladding that's being done to being done to the this building at hand. /sigh

Not to derail the thread, but it was a protest to raise awareness about the police killings and corrupt government in Colombia this past week. Just for those curious.

Anyways yeah, I'm afraid of how this will resolve at the ground level as it's never been a building that's done it well.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just when i thought the horror show re-clad couldnt get any worse, somehow Cadillac Fairview manages to make things even worse at ground level.

What an atrocious POS, well done CF you should give yourselves a round of applause (which i'm sure they continuously do on a daily basis anyways).

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but it was a protest to raise awareness about the police killings and corrupt government in Colombia this past week. Just for those curious.

Anyways yeah, I'm afraid of how this will resolve at the ground level as it's never been a building that's done it well.
Fair enough. And sorry I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that...I was being overly curious for my own good. :(

Yegger

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is probably the worst "building to location" combination I've ever witnessed. Located on such a prominent corner, to be forever viewed from dedicated public space and a gateway to the FIDI and yet suffers from such poor design and material choices.

Bleh.

isaidso

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is probably the worst "building to location" combination I've ever witnessed. Located on such a prominent corner, to be forever viewed from dedicated public space and a gateway to the FIDI and yet suffers from such poor design and material choices.

Bleh.

Hopefully in 30-40 years from now it can be restored. It was an elegant building before they butchered it.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Bleh.
unbelievably bleh. And it replaced a fairly competent design that just needed a bit of cleaning up.

thecharioteer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not to pile on (and I've already expressed my opinion of this retrofit previously in this thread), but this picture has convinced me that demolishing the old building, resulting in a shadow across NPS created by a new taller building, would have been preferable to this. So ironic that the Design Review Panel, which often nitpicks on the most obscure buildings in secondary locations didn't even get a chance to look at this. I don't think this even went through Site Plan Review (notwithstanding the block being on the Inventory of Heritage Properties). Heritage Preservation Services spent months batch-listing banal 2-storey retail buildings on Eglinton, Mount Pleasant, Bayview and Yonge, but never put protections in place to protect this building, designed by one of the City's premier modernist architects on the City's premier urban square. Something is definitely wrong with our planning department and its priorities.