Toronto 401 Bay Street | 143.86m | 33s | Cadillac Fairview | WZMH

I think much of this have to do with that rendering. Remember the Zruich relcad received pretty much the same response when it was just starting but that building turned out to be better than people had expected.

To be frank I don't think anyone is trying to create architectural masterpieces through re-claddings, more so a quick inexpensive change to bring their building in-line with mediocrity.

Actually, the Zurich resash is still IMO a cheap and unsympathetic hack job--Tata's not my cup of tea, so to speak--and while I didn't follow that thread through and through, if the party line was "hey, this isn't so bad", then another reason for the, uh, "elites" to steer clear of UT threads.

Also, there's a big difference btw/"creating architectural masterpieces" and respecting what's there already--and when one goes into such a project with the ahistorical auto-presumption that "what's there already" is mediocrity that just needs an update, there's a problem. (A problem which also underlies the EIFS-mummification trends in postwar suburbia or retail strips like Corso Italia.)

A party line? Please, we rarely get unanimity or even near unanimity on 99% of our threads. Self styled elites, popularly acclaimed elites, and the rest of us, are all welcome to post and attempt to sway opinion. Anyone with a reasonable argument is encouraged to leave their mark on UT.

New cladding
IMG_5761.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 428

Back