Toronto 4001 Steeles West | 148.5m | 45s | N.H.D. Developments Ltd | Graziani + Corazza

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New App into the AIC for this site:

1651302938566.png

Streetview:

This appears to be the open space for this apartment complex on the south-west corner of Jane and Steeles:

1651303117955.png

Above is the Jane frontage, below is Steeles:

1651303182954.png

Aerial Pic:

1651303412905.png

Site Size is misleading here, as it includes the existing 2 towers, which I am assuming will remain, but is ~ 4ha/10 acres.

35 storeys just across the street from Black Creek Pioneer Village? Time to construct giant visual disruption field generators on BCPV's perimeter to keep it totally true to the past!

35 storeys just across the street from Black Creek Pioneer Village? Time to construct giant visual disruption field generators on BCPV's perimeter to keep it totally true to the past!

I've been to Pioneer Village, as an adult a couple of times, for conferences.

But haven't really spent much time on the grounds since I was little.

So you got me wondering.......how visible are the existing towers?

The answer is........fairly visible, but not super intrusive. Streetview has done the main pathway on the grounds:

1651543677340.png

Looking west from the main path:

But this is the same view (roughly) from a minor path up against the forest:

1651543789397.png

Back on the main path, but further north.........you still see nothing in the way of taller buildings:

1651543913542.png

It's really remarkably protected, in terms of outward views, at least for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about Google Street View images is that they are taken through wide angle lenses. It's great for getting everything in the picture during drive-bys (I'd love to see the horse and buggy that was wired up for the canter through Pioneer Vlg) but wide angle has the effect of making everything in the distance look farther away than it actually looks in real life, hence that apartment building has much more of an impact when you're there than it does in this pic.

1651543677340-png.397545

The opposite is true of telephoto shots, of course, where the long lenses compress the distance and make everything feel much closer.

If only the money that were being spent on burying the West extension to Eglinton Line 5 were freed up: there's your visual distortion field generator budget, or, if that tech isn't quite ready, they could just spend it on barn board to cover (the existing and any new) view spoilers from our pristine 19th century village.

YC Condos--> The Redux version.

Absolute atrocious horror show, goes to show Graziani & Corazza is a complete joke of an "architecture" firm.

And you guys thought I was kidding about needing visual disruption field generators built here, giant ones! Giant. Build a coal-fired plant just to power them too, I don't care. Get the most evil scientists you can find to perfect the tech, just get going on it! Go!

And you guys thought I was kidding about needing visual disruption field generators built here, giant ones! Giant. Build a coal-fired plant just to power them too, I don't care. Get the most evil scientists you can find to perfect the tech, just get going on it! Go!

I don't know about the coal plant, that might be a tad disruptive to the ambiance at Pioneer Village as well...

But your point is well taken.

The proposal is hulking, and frankly a tad absurd in its scale.

That would be true if it were an architectural masterpiece........... which this, most certainly is not.

I don't know about the coal plant, that might be a tad disruptive to the ambiance at Pioneer Village as well...

But your point is well taken.

The proposal is hulking, and frankly a tad absurd in its scale.

That would be true if it were an architectural masterpiece........... which this, most certainly is not.
I have a marketing name for this project: Black Creek Pioneer Killage.

Back