Toronto 400 King West | 157.37m | 48s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

this morning --
IMG_9505.jpg

IMG_9507.jpg

I know MEC vacated this building a long time ago but seeing it being demolished brings a small tear after having spent countless hours over the years wandering through the store and gathering supplies to go camping/hiking/portaging Preparing for these trips can be almost as much fun as the trips themselves (sometimes better if the trip had crap weather).

I know MEC vacated this building a long time ago but seeing it being demolished brings a small tear after having spent countless hours over the years wandering through the store and gathering supplies to go camping/hiking/portaging Preparing for these trips can be almost as much fun as the trips themselves (sometimes better if the trip had crap weather).

When this MEC first opened, with the climbing wall, the otherwise open space around the stairs, allowing the skylight to do its job.......when the place wasn't overcrowded and MEC wasn't also trying to be
a cycling store and a skiing store and whatever else they got themselves into, I thought was a wonderful place to explore one's camping/outdoor needs.

It was organized, easy-to-find stuff and I even quite enjoyed their modest second-floor book section which also had a great collection of maps, including topo maps which could be quite handy!

Over the years, the store became less pleasant as it was ever more crowded with additional categories of goods and sightlines deteriorated and features were removed.

I miss what it once was; but not what it became.

Going to be getting updates from my friends condo on this project. @jackattack Looks like you have a similar vantage point!
View attachment 385715
Ahh that will be a great view to watch this site! And I was only at 11 Charlotte the other week viewing a unit on one of the upper floors so (un)fortunately I won't be beside this as it's demolished/constructed — but I very much look forward to seeing the progress via your friend!

When this MEC first opened, with the climbing wall, the otherwise open space around the stairs, allowing the skylight to do its job.......when the place wasn't overcrowded and MEC wasn't also trying to be
a cycling store and a skiing store and whatever else they got themselves into, I thought was a wonderful place to explore one's camping/outdoor needs.

It was organized, easy-to-find stuff and I even quite enjoyed their modest second-floor book section which also had a great collection of maps, including topo maps which could be quite handy!

Over the years, the store became less pleasant as it was ever more crowded with additional categories of goods and sightlines deteriorated and features were removed.

I miss what it once was; but not what it became.
Totally agree. I believe the building also had one of the city’s first green roof - though only accessible to the public during Doors Open.

I loved the map and book section. The waterproof maps are very handy.

The new stores don’t have that same feel that this one and the original Broadway location in Vancouver had.

1649291834776.jpeg

Wish I had a better shot but here's a higher angle of the demolition.

Not that I'm anti-development but as I saw this come down, I realized it would've been a decent location for a park, better than the one proposed at Spadina and Adelaide imo! Add a retail on the Eastern portion of the site to liven the space, add a patio to Khao San Road and it'd be a pretty neat little "square" surrounded on all sides by food/retail.

Back