Toronto 400 King West | 157.37m | 48s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Why not just extend the brickwork down to the ground floor. The wall to wall glass that is 2-3 stories high just kills all texture at street level. Otherwise the building is fine.

Why not just extend the brickwork down to the ground floor. The wall to wall glass that is 2-3 stories high just kills all texture at street level. Otherwise the building is fine.
Exactly, that's what the previous design did, warm red and gold bricks to the ground floor
Now it looks cheap and boring and out of place
They give 0 respect to the heritage architecture of the area
Wonder what it says on the heritage report of the application

Are people really expecting Plaza to do anything beyond the bare minimum here?

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

I'm an owner of a southfacing unit in the King Charlotte building (11 Charlotte st), and I'm obviously disappointed about the 400 King st building, as it's going to block our entire south view.
I don't have much experience in owning / re-selling condos in Toronto (it's my first one), so I'm trying to gauge the impact on the value of my property once the construction at 400 King st it's going to be completed.
I imagine it's not going to help having the south facing view completely blocked, but at the same time I also think the value of the neighbourhood may be positively impacted by it.
I'm trying to think whether it would be better to sell my unit at King Charlotte before construction of 400 King st starts or completes. Alternative would be to just rent it out, I imagine renting would have less of an impact. Does anyone have more experience with these kind of situations? I imagine it's not that uncommon in Toronto given the quantity of skyrises being built in the area.

I'm an owner of a southfacing unit in the King Charlotte building (11 Charlotte st), and I'm obviously disappointed about the 400 King st building, as it's going to block our entire south view.
I don't have much experience in owning / re-selling condos in Toronto (it's my first one), so I'm trying to gauge the impact on the value of my property once the construction at 400 King st it's going to be completed.
I imagine it's not going to help having the south facing view completely blocked, but at the same time I also think the value of the neighbourhood may be positively impacted by it.
I'm trying to think whether it would be better to sell my unit at King Charlotte before construction of 400 King st starts or completes. Alternative would be to just rent it out, I imagine renting would have less of an impact. Does anyone have more experience with these kind of situations? I imagine it's not that uncommon in Toronto given the quantity of skyrises being built in the area.

Can't say I have much experience but I think it would be naive for anyone to think that views are permanent in this city, unless you're literally right by the water and/or overlooking a heritage sight (ie. Fort York). I say that not to disrespect you, but moreso meaning that I think perhaps the negative impact on prices may not be as drastic as you think given that previous buyers who purchased south facing units probably had that in mind as well and the pricing would've reflected that.

Also, like you said, with all this new development selling at these prices (55 Mercer, 357 King W, 400 King W, 411 King W, Theatre District Condos etc.) I think overall it would just add to the value of the neighbourhood and by extension of that, your unit. Overall I do think it would be a net positive. I wouldn't sell if I were you since if you were an end user and are looking to move, who's to say that the new place you are going to move to won't suffer the same fate? If you are an investor, then it doesn't matter since the premium that renters pay for views are marginal unless it's something truly astonishingly unique, which I don't think this qualifies. There are high transaction costs with buying and selling real estate and the cost of that is probably going to be more than any potential decline in the value of your unit in the short run.

If you are thinking about leasing the unit out, it might be wise to do so sometime before this building registers, as then the local market will be suddenly flooded with a ton of investors looking to find occupants for their units.

Back