Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

9 storey podiums - they're really milking every possible unit out of the parcel eh? Seems like podiums keep getting bigger to the point where they're really midrises all unto themselves.

Given that we're not going to get a particularly attractive building, I would instead focus on reducing the parking as much as possible. A ratio of 0.3 seems too high for a location this deep downtown.

Anyone who is going to be around this area over the coming days may want to have their camera(phone) ready for the following, to be projected on the north wall of the Tridel building (which will eventually be covered up by one of the 400 Front buildings). Here's the press release:

Original

TORONTO, March 26, 2021 /CNW/ - From Friday, March 26 to Sunday, April 4, Club House®, French's® and Billy Bee® celebrate what makes this country so special through an outdoor light show on display each night at Blue Jays Way and Wellington Street West.

Club_House_Media_Photo_Advisory___MyHomeIsCanada_Light_Show_on_D.jpg

The Light Show features images shared by Canadians on social media using the #MyHomeIsCanada hashtag and highlights Canada's diversity, family, heritage, landscape, and food. The display is the culmination of the My Home is Canada campaign, which in partnership with decorated Olympian Scott Moir, set out to remind Canadians of the beauty of everyday moments and love for this great country.
WHATNightly #MyHomeIsCanada Light Show made by and for Canadians, featuring hundreds of photos of cherished moments, stunning places, favourite foods, and more to showcase national pride.
WHENFriday, March 26 to Sunday, April 4 (10 days)
Time: 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
WHERE Blue Jays Way and Wellington Street West
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 3E4
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please ensure physical distancing and that masks are worn in all public areas when viewing the light show in-person.
WHOIn partnership with Olympian Scott Moir, Club House®, French's® and Billy Bee® – the brands behind the beloved spices, herbs, seasonings, condiments, and more that are relied upon by Canadians every day – celebrate the best of Canada through a dynamic outdoor light show.
Residents unable to attend the outdoor light show can view it online at MyHomeisCanada.ca or ChezMoiCestleCanada.ca.

I asked this last week and was told that they're doing soil sampling. Given that it's all sub-surface excavation and there's no drilling rig, I question that answer though.

Most of the time when soil samplings are done. It usually leads up to the development of these buildings getting prepared to start in my opinion.

That's an extensive soil sample.
That is exactly what I said. We live at 352 Front and I just want a clear answer of what’s going on. This looks like more than a soil sample to me.

Seems like we’ll be facing a loud development zone for many years to come.

The soil samples are used for the environmental, geotechnical and hydro-g reports needed for rezoning. That would have happened here in 2016 or so.

Looks like they were here doing samples again, in February 2020, as per this post earlier in the thread:

Hmmm, perhaps @ProjectEnd would have thoughts.........

I don't see a current Record of Site Condition for this site.

I looked here:

Maybe I missed it?

One would certainly be required on a site like this.

My first guess was an archaeological dig so I went snooping and found this tidbit in the SPA cover letter:

"It is noted that additional archaeological work is required as part of the SPA submission. In this regard, Archeoworks Inc. will be completing a Stage 4 Archaeological dig in April 2021. Following the Stage 4 dig, a report will be prepared to outline the findings. As such, the archaeological report will be submitted at a later date."

A few months late but based on the pic looks like archaeological.

My first guess was an archaeological dig so I went snooping and found this tidbit in the SPA cover letter:

"It is noted that additional archaeological work is required as part of the SPA submission. In this regard, Archeoworks Inc. will be completing a Stage 4 Archaeological dig in April 2021. Following the Stage 4 dig, a report will be prepared to outline the findings. As such, the archaeological report will be submitted at a later date."

A few months late but based on the pic looks like archaeological.

Excellent sleuthing!

Parts of what I saw in the pic had me lean that way; but the total site scrape had me confused.

I wonder if pavement was really that thick there.......

God this podium is gonna be awful. Look forward to the day this building gets wrecked

Excellent sleuthing!

Parts of what I saw in the pic had me lean that way; but the total site scrape had me confused.

I wonder if pavement was really that thick there.......
Remediation crossed my mind when you mentioned the RSC but that wouldn't be issued until the remediation was finished. If railyards or manufacturing buildings were here before that could have been required remediation. There are no ESAs on the AIC site to review.

Back