Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

this is offensive. It is upsetting that such a prominent location, beside a premier square, heritage district and future outdoor mall (the well) couldn't conjure more creativity and ambition. I would rather it remain an underutilized parking lot than to have this wasted potential materialized

View attachment 292856 do you remember these as well.
Yeah so??

A short video:

And a screenshot:

Toronto Model 01-07-21 400.png

Next step is the forever approval process of vetting for subpar proposals. And then watch in horror when the all too predictable cladding choice starts to materialize as the buildings go up, I guess. I hope I am really wrong about this though...

I mean yeah it doesn't look great in those renders but those renders are also terrible quality so there's very little to go off of for the actual detail of the building.

The massing is a snoozefest, regardless.

I mean yeah it doesn't look great in those renders but those renders are also terrible quality so there's very little to go off of for the actual detail of the building.

The massing is a snoozefest, regardless.

Projects where design and execution surpasses the presentation in renders is rare indeed (and if they don't care to even produce good renders for a project at this scale...)

AoD

To be fair to State (not that it will change anything in the future), there's a real difference between the 'renders' that an architect will include in a submission to illustrate the concept, and 'marketing renders' which are developed by other, specialized, firms entirely (Norm Li, Designstor, ADHOC, etc.) for the purposes of marketing the building.

"Let's wait and see! Let's wait and see! Can't judge yet!"...
You know, I will freely admit I do that. But here's the caveat though...I do it for my own purposes. Therefore, no one has to agree to my unfounded optimism at times...especially when project like this quite likely to go South in every other indication. /sigh

They look like two robots squaring up to do battle.
I wish they where two robots fighting. That would be least interesting.

I honestly don't get the hate on for these buildings. They look fine to me. I'm not an architect, mind you. My interest is in the urban form. But most people aren't architects. As long as a building doesn't look out of context and isn't overtly ugly they're fine with it. These buildings aren't ugly. They're not exceptional but not every building needs to be.

Projects where design and execution surpasses the presentation in renders is rare indeed (and if they don't care to even produce good renders for a project at this scale...)

AoD
Once Mother Nature came to play (changing light conditions, clouds/weather etc.) it's not hard to think of a very large project that kicks its (very lovely) renderings butt.
ITg6VjNAg5.jpeg

Razz

BmYMUxPpNi.jpeg

GlassGuru
bt7H3mlYiW.jpeg

skycandy

And yes, the crown and diamond night lighting will too... don't 😟

I honestly don't get the hate on for these buildings. They look fine to me. I'm not an architect, mind you. My interest is in the urban form. But most people aren't architects. As long as a building doesn't look out of context and isn't overtly ugly they're fine with it. These buildings aren't ugly. They're not exceptional but not every building needs to be.

You are entitled with your opinion of course.
You don't need to be an architect to appreciate and judge architecture of buildings, like you don't need to be an artist to buy art, a basketball player to comment on NBA games, an actor to rate movies etc. A product that is public facing will always receive feedback.

To me these buildings are awful, lazy and out of context for such a prominent site.

Back