Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

Uhhhh, a lot of New Yorkers are complaining about the shadows on Central Park.

I'll chime in here and add to that... while some people here on UT seem to think shadowing and parks is a uniquely Toronto issue - there has been a lot of very negative press in NYC about shadowing and Central Park - I would suggest that this issue is actually much more controversial in NYC than it is in Toronto.

Slate doesn't do residential as far as I'm aware I wonder if they'll be a large office component to this one.

I'm rather certain that State Building Group does residential projects in the past, including the 3 Hillside @ York Mills buildings, the 2 Promenade Park @ Thornhill buildings, and other ground housing in the 905s ...

Nonetheless, I'm too looking forward to development of this site ... hopefully there will be a good mix of office-retail-residential

Last edited:
I'm not saying that it was particularly realistic pipe dream, but I guess this sort of kills the prospect of connecting the western end of Wellington to Front at Spadina and converting both to One-Way operation between Spadina and Jarvis.

I believe this lot was part of Steve Munro's suggested downtown relief construction plan, wasn't it?

I'll chime in here and add to that... while some people here on UT seem to think shadowing and parks is a uniquely Toronto issue - there has been a lot of very negative press in NYC about shadowing and Central Park - I would suggest that this issue is actually much more controversial in NYC than it is in Toronto.

I would suggest that shadowing on parks is and should be a very reasonable, crucial issue for public spaces in any city that cares about a quality public realm. People can roll their eyes and say it's a Toronto thing or a NYC thing, but ultimately it SHOULD be an issue in any city that cares about its public spaces.

I believe this lot was part of Steve Munro's suggested downtown relief construction plan, wasn't it?

Indeed it was. But without starting a tangential thread of discussion here, the prospective TBMs could easily continue to a future decomissioned bathurst GO Yard which would become asatellite Union station with TTC and GO stops.

I wouldn't think that shadowing would be too much of an issue here given that the bulk of the site is north of Clarence Square.

Actually, the site is to the east and south of Clarence Square. The full impact of shadows is unknown at this time because there is nothing specific about what is to be proposed.

Like replacement of that awful new dog park fence with a higher quality one, wrought iron maybe? (Prays for canine intervention.)

Okay, I know, terrible wordplay…

Does that dog park still have the pebbles in it? My dog hated it

The site went through rezoning 10 years ago for two 20ish storey towers on 4 storey podiums. I suspect we'll see something significantly larger if State is considering rezoning.

Like replacement of that awful new dog park fence with a higher quality one, wrought iron maybe? (Prays for canine intervention.)

Okay, I know, terrible wordplay…

One of my biggest pet peeves is that cheap quality fencing going up all around the city, not just in dog parks but also along sidewalks. Nothing beats good wrought iron, which continues to look great decades after it's built. Spending a little more upfront, saves a lot in maintenance over the long haul but sadly, our short sighted politicians only think in terms of 4 years, to the next election.

Let's hope Grange Park gets some good quality materials, instead of the cheap aluminum railings this local park got.

Back