Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

While it's not saying much, this has got to be (from memory) the best thing I've seen from Kirkor, especially if we actually get those curved corners. The taller towers are standard fare, although I'm actually liking the arched motif at the top.

But alas, like others here, I'm not optimistic the final product will look as good.

I'm not optimistic this will plan out as it is advertised right now, but even a watered down version of these new renders would be considerably better than the initial renders.

This is one of several projects lately where the renders have gotten better from what was originally proposed as opposed to going the other way which always seems to be the case in Toronto. Even if this doesn't turn out as advertised thats a trend I'm a fan of overall.

I'm not optimistic this will plan out as it is advertised right now, but even a watered down version of these new renders would be considerably better than the initial renders.

This is one of several projects lately where the renders have gotten better from what was originally proposed as opposed to going the other way which always seems to be the case in Toronto. Even if this doesn't turn out as advertised thats a trend I'm a fan of overall.
145 Wellington West also got a rare render upgrade with a striking new PARTISANS design. Torontonians are slowly transcending our painful culture of cheapness, parsimony, and "tall-poppy-ism" (The Well and a few other projects are a testament to this incremental cultural shift), albeit at a glacial pace. I'll remain cautiously optimistic with this one, and "believe it when I see it". Till then, fingers crossed that de-value engineering doesn't wreck it beyond recognition (far from a guarantee).

A few bits and bobs:

Draft Zoning By-Law was submitted to the City on July 11, 2022.

Not thrilled w/the grade-level layout for the west side of Building A which fronts, Front Street:

1659972287213.png

No changes to heights, no new renders.

Not to doubt you, @Urban-Affair, but that seems almost impossible. In advance of a sales launch, developers tease the hell out of their launch to get everyone sufficiently tumescent before the actual day. That there's been absolutely no marketing, no name, no...anything, to me only indicates that Altus is a bit off on this one. Happy to be proven wrong though!

I agree, it seemed oddly near to have not heard anything. I hope I’m right, but I was skeptical as well. That said, it was listed as “coming soon”, but as I mentioned in another thread, they also have “coming soon” for projects commencing in almost a year from now, in mid 2023.

For any UrbanToronto buildings like 400 Front West. If theres no city reports, approvals or new documents created for the city. Assume the status is exactly the same. Sometimes city staff leak things but thats rare

Looking at what they're planning to build here again...

...I think it's best to let this sleeping dog lay. Perhaps for the ages.

Apparently State is targeting sales in 2025 for this site, as per RENX:

1699469064706.png

1699469100104.png

* Site does not have SPA in place yet.

Last edited:
They should put a roof over that central spine like The Well. It would be a good flow of traffic to both properties and would hopefully spur more development like this in the future

Back