Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

It is getting prettier, inch by inch, day by day. There's no reason why some day it can't be one of the most beautiful in the world. We just need to continually demand better and not settle. Berzcy Park, The Well, Bloor Street Improvement Project, etc. It can be done and one doesn't need a massive inventory of pre-WW2 buildings to accomplish it.

It is getting prettier, inch by inch, day by day. There's no reason why some day it can't be one of the most beautiful in the world. We just need to continually demand better and not settle. Berzcy Park, The Well, Bloor Street Improvement Project, etc. It can be done and one doesn't need a massive inventory of pre-WW2 buildings to accomplish it.
Yes, some of the proposed and under-construction projects will definitely beautify the city, and not just downtown (East Harbour, the Mr. Christie site, etc). Sadly, not this one, although you could argue that it's better than the current parking lot ...

Assuming all the photos were taken at the same time, we can narrow down the time range substantially.

We can see that the Simpson Tower looks complete, that was 1968.

We can see that the St Lawrence Centre looks complete, that was 1970.

We can the Sheraton Centre under construction, it would open in 1972.

So that puts the photo series somewhere in the 1970-71 range.
Agreed with 1970-71: Ontario Place did not open until May, 1971. While it's fuzzy in the background of this photograph, and we cannot be certain of its stage of construction, it's definitely there… so yes, one or the other of those two years, and I'm tending towards 1971.

1971 would make sense in that Westin Harbour Castle didn't get going until 1972 (completed in 1975), and you've also got a 1/2 done Robarts which was completed in 1973.

Now what's throwing me is that you seemingly have a 2/3rds clad Manulife Centre in there as well. That one started in 1972 and finished in 1974...

kirk.jpg
kirk2.jpg
kirk3.jpg
kirk4.jpg

^^^^ Interesting.

Certainly not consistent w/the submission under the SPA which is still listed as 'under review'.

I don't see anything new there either.

The above, while far from perfect would be a material improvement on the last submission.

Lol yeah right, nice try State not falling for this pure bred Bait and Switch.

As im a betting man, I say 0% chance these will be built even close to what is rendered.

Back