Toronto 396 Church | 141m | 43s | Podium | Arcadis

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The building where Kinka Izakaya is located at Church and McGill, along with houses at 73 through 77 McGill to the immediate west, have been purchased by Kin Capital, Secure Capital, and Podium Developments, who are together proposing a tower of about 44 storeys that will be aimed at housing TMU students, and it would seem that they have a limiting distance agreement or more with the student housing to the south!

398ChurchPodW1280.jpg

More info coming on this soon.

The building where Kinka Izakaya is located at Church and McGill, along with houses at 73 through 77 McGill to the immediate west, have been purchased by Kin Capital, Secure Capital, and Podium Developments, who are together proposing a tower of about 44 storeys that will be aimed at housing TMU students, and it would seem that they have a limiting distance agreement or more with the student housing to the south!

View attachment 436206

More info coming on this soon.

"aimed at housing TMU students" - are they planning this as a formal "Student Housing" rental building..?

"aimed at housing TMU students" - are they planning this as a formal "Student Housing" rental building..?
It's simply aimed at that market, no affiliation with the university. We don't have info one way or the other yet on whether they'll go the rental route, or the condo investor (private rental) route.

Application for this one is now public in the AIC:

1671013213266.png

I think we have all the pretty pictures above, but I will add anything we may not have below:

1671013515327.png

1671013915609.png

* of note, building is within St. Mike's Hospital path, but well below the regulatory height limit.

*** Hmmmm; the renders above are much augmented by showing street trees; but the actual landscape plans show zero trees on both the Church St. and McGill frontages.

I expect that may generate some push back, and it should!

1671014268245.png

So, teeny-tiny units don't even have balconies anymore? Nowhere to step outside to find relief from living in a glorified walk-in closet?

I received a notice in the mail today about a Community Consultation Meeting taking place on March 7. It's "One meeting to discuss two planning applications at: 295 Jarvis and 396-398 Church"

I sort of hate how even in the renderings the brick looks like a shitty, unconvincing precast brick. I guess if we want to credit them with renderings that are realistic as opposed to aspirational, this is worrying.

That @Art Tsai always trying to hide a bit of the info...............

LOL

From the Cover Letter, we learn this was appealed to the OLT on July 7th, 2023.

Doesn't look like we did the elevator ratio here. Only 4 of 'em to 456 units; 0.88 elevators per 100 units

Detailed drawings now show street trees.

The introduction of visible arches under the overhang is a new design feature in this iteration.

Podum massing has been rearranged.

Back