Toronto 372 Yonge | 278m | 85s | Yonge & Gerrard Partners | DIALOG

I do like the design direction, reminiscent of of 45 Broad in New York.
Source: https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/12/wo...ts-first-impending-residential-supertall.html
45-Broad.jpg

---

I've also put together 2 visualizations of this development, to put things into perspective and its impact on the Yonge and Gerrard intersection:

50193817322_74ed686800_k.jpg

50193559571_7dd34d9e25_k.jpg

I'm having a feeling that this will get shorter and mediocre when approved by the city.

I can't speak to design changes; but I think a reduction in height is unlikely.

The building to the north, Aura, is taller.

The proposed building to the east (YSL) is taller

The proposed building(s) to the west (Chelsea Green) includes a taller building as well.

This will be the shortest building among its immediate peer group.

I can't imagine this posing a material shadow risk to any green space, given the larger buildings on all sides.

Also, this area is not Rosedale/North Toronto/Moore Park; and this isn't next to any single-family housing. I don't see a strong Nimby reaction being likely.

Always possible, I could be wrong.

But I would imagine any issues would come from other policy considerations.

With all the housing at this intersection, this area could use another office tower (like the old Eaton's plans!)
It would be great if there were a new version of the Eaton's / John Maryon Tower. The original tower wasn't built due to engineering difficulties at the time. Now, because of buildings like Burj Khalifa and the Jeddah Tower, it should be possible to build such a very tall skyscraper in Toronto.

Last edited:
With all the housing at this intersection, this area could use another office tower (like the old Eaton's plans!)
Not only that they should run a Subway underneath Gerrard Street with all these extra large skyscrapers in this corner. I can see it happening in a hundred years Ha Ha!

This is what I’m talking about. Something completely different. Still using the box form, but at least this has a lot of character. And uniqueness. Please welcome this design. If we get another. 50 skyscrapers all like what we have been getting then call your city ugly. Aside from new CIBC Tower(s). And aura the top half) this design is beautiful and elegant. And adds much needed colour and difference to stand out in a very nice way

Close, but the rounded corners all the way up are a nice touch and help take that look away thankfully

I can't speak to design changes; but I think a reduction in height is unlikely.

The building to the north, Aura, is taller.

The proposed building to the east (YSL) is taller

The proposed building(s) to the west (Chelsea Green) includes a taller building as well.

This will be the shortest building among its immediate peer group.

I can't imagine this posing a material shadow risk to any green space, given the larger buildings on all sides.

Also, this area is not Rosedale/North Toronto/Moore Park; and this isn't next to any single-family housing. I don't see a strong Nimby reaction being likely.

Always possible, I could be wrong.

But I would imagine any issues would come from other policy considerations.
Always fascinating how high-rise height limits in Toronto are defined by precedent/the first 'pioneer projects', which I suppose is the result of our planning/OMB appeal system.

I.e. the cluster in the Entertainment District (following the precedent set by the Lightbox), the emerging cluster at Bloor Yonge (set by One Bloor East), the cluster around Dundas/Jarvis (set by Pace) and now Aura here.

On an aside, the design for the tower is great but like others, I do hope that the final product won't be cheapened. I strongly believe that curved tower base is going to be value-engineered out soon, since the custom glass required is going to be expensive.

Likewise @Northern Light, I think we were right on our predictions for heritage protection. I actually don't mind the replacement structure for 372 Yonge as it forms a nice bookend mirroring 378 Yonge, but I do think it needs a bit more emphasis on vertical elements on the Yonge Street facade.

Last edited:

Back