Toronto 36 Eglinton West | 199.99m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
A rezoning application / Official Plan Amendment has been submitted for 36-44 Eglinton Avenue West to permit development of a 53-storey condominium tower with ground-floor retail space

There was a thread on the RioCan Yonge-Eglinton Centre Expansion development. However I'd suggest this residential project should be split out into it's own thread.
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5401

If this development is close by the intersection of Yonge and Eglinton, it shouldnt attract as many NIMBYS and oppisition as Minto Place did. What's the fuzz?:rolleyes: 20 years ago this same location was designated for 50 storey towers.

Last edited:
You'd like to think so, Automation, but I'm not so sure. This comes a very short time after a 40-storey limit was placed on development of the TTC lands just across the street, and I'm guessing that a few of those who objected to Minto Midtown might be still around as well.

But with Minto Midtown being approved, it may set a precedent in that the developers cant point to its approval as reason that their's is no different. This may help, but I'm sure there will still be significant hurdles.

OPA / Rezoning application submitted ~

36-44 EGLINTON AVE W
OPA / Rezoning

Proposed 53 stories mixed-use building with condominium and ground floor retail

Application Number 09 148228 NNY 16 OZ

Date Received Jun 10, 2009

Planner Name Ventresca, Christian
Phone# (416) 395-7129

160 m / 525 feet! Would be the same height as Quantum 2.

Here's the site

image.php

http://www.premiumgroup.com/?a=properties&id=1

oh the NIMBYs are going to have a fit ...

sadly this project only has bachelors (46), 1 Bedroom/+ den (264) and 2 bedroom/+ den (166), but NO 3 + Bedroom units

umm, the nimbyism is coming from everywhere at Yonge and Egg, east, south, north, west, it doesn't matter, u will find nimbyism everywhere at Y&E. This proposal however is perfect for the area, 1 block to TTC, 1 block from yonge, on a very dense block already.

Looks a little uninspiring. The curves are the only feature of the building that could turn out nice. I would have prefered to see some setbacks or details to give the building a little more drama.

We can do better.

Back