Toronto 36 Eglinton West | 199.99m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

umm, the nimbyism is coming from everywhere at Yonge and Egg, east, south, north, west, it doesn't matter, u will find nimbyism everywhere at Y&E. This proposal however is perfect for the area, 1 block to TTC, 1 block from yonge, on a very dense block already.

Several years ago when the big fight broke out over Minto Midtown, there were protest posters on lawns at least as far west as Oriole Parkway. You can scarcely see the towers from there, but those people were quite convinced that they would ruin their neighbourhood.

The proposal seems like a generally good one, if perhaps unexciting. If you can't get density here, where could you?

This is another proposal that is using its location (1 block from the subway) as leverage for fewer auto and bicycle parking spaces.

• 458 total units (too bad about no 3 bedroom units)
  • Vehicular and service access is proposed from Duplex Avenue. A total of 135 parking stalls are proposed within a 5 storey below-grade parking structure. Approximately 123 of these stalls are to be equipped with a mechanical stacker that provides two spaces per stall. The entire garage including stacker operations will be a valet service.
  • 200 bicycle parking spaces (40 for visitors and 160 for residents)

Looks a little uninspiring. The curves are the only feature of the building that could turn out nice. I would have prefered to see some setbacks or details to give the building a little more drama.

We can do better.

It's a pretty generic elevation drawing. I'd wait for a render before settling on an opinion.

More like ape shit.:eek: This intersection needs an injection of a couple of more 150-175 meter towers.... Uptown Baby.

We'll see. The problem is that these complexes border on virtually no mid-rises. I'd like to see some 7-12 storey buildings (so far only 4s) on Duplex where 53 Division is and covering the block to the north as well.

Several years ago when the big fight broke out over Minto Midtown, there were protest posters on lawns at least as far west as Oriole Parkway. You can scarcely see the towers from there, but those people were quite convinced that they would ruin their neighbourhood.

The proposal seems like a generally good one, if perhaps unexciting. If you can't get density here, where could you?

They were aided quite a bit by Michael Walker. I'm not sure what they can do; Duplex is already right by the subway, very close to Yonge. The subway trough isn't going to be a barrier to development forever.

This really made my day. Midtown Toronto is very strangely under-developed north of the north side of Davisville, along Yonge especially (excl. Minto). The patch west of the subway north of Manor isn't Leaside or Forest Hill; it's prime for some smart plans to build a new, bigger neighbourhood. I say bring the development on!

Last edited:
30.9 times density! Holy crap. My guess is that's about as dense as anything ever built in Toronto. Anyone know what Trump's density is?

A quick read of the staff report suggests planning and urban design staff will tear this thing to shreads even before Walker gets his hysterical little hands on it.

According to the Toronto development applications status page a community meeting was scheduled for this development on Mar 1, 2010, 7:00pm at the North Toronto Memorial Community Centre

Urbanation had a photo of the meeting, commenting on the lack of young people
70889646.jpg

Haven't found a newspaper article yet.

At least it has a curve and a bit of a variation on the box theme. It might not be that bad

Yes that is definitely a curve on the left side. We really need a proper rendering to get a good feel for how it looks, but from what I can tell it looks all right to me.

The intersection of Eglinton and Duplex is a traffic mess in the afternoon rush hour. Metro (Dominion)'s loading docks abut this proposal and traffic backs up all the time. Not to mention the number of TTC buses pulling out of the station. Last night it took almost five minutes to leave the station because of traffic. Yonge Street intensification, yes. Eglinton Avenue West, not a good idea IMO.

Back