Burlington 355 Plains Road East (Burlington) | ?m | 11s | Coletara Development | srm Architects

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

The proposed concept for redevelopment of the Subject Lands currently includes two mid-rise residential buildings with tower heights of 11 and nine storeys to the east and eight storeys to the west, with stacked townhomes along the back of both sites. The east portion of the site will include 343 apartment units and 40 townhouse units. The west portion of the site will include 141 apartment units and 56 townhouse units. Overall, the development includes a total of 484 residential apartment units and 96 townhouse units.

rendering-1010-downsview-compressed.png

No! Sent it back. Too much surface parking and it's completely unshaded which will fuel the urban-heat island effect.

If, big IF there must be a surface lot, I want to see a plan for trees in high quality planting conditions that will provide at least 70% shade at maturity.

Any unshaded spaces should be subject to high-albedo requirements (essentially, made to be light-coloured and heat reflecting rather than absorbing)

No! Sent it back. Too much surface parking and its completely unshaded which will fuel the urban-heat island effect.

If, big IF there must be a surface lot, I want to see a plan for trees in high quality planting conditions that will provide at least 70% shade at maturity.

Any unshaded spaces should be subject to high-albedo requirements (essentially, made to be light-coloured and heat reflecting rather than absorbing)

I agree that the surface parking sucks, but this is a terrible strip for local transit. Sure, it's close to Aldershot GO, but try taking Burlington Transit to get groceries or drop your kids off at swimming.

I agree that the surface parking sucks, but this is a terrible strip for local transit. Sure, it's close to Aldershot GO, but try taking Burlington Transit to get groceries or drop your kids off at swimming.

Sure, so parking may be necessary, but it could be underground; and it could be shaded/high-albedo.

Also though, we have to be mindful of the chicken-egg problem. If parking is plentiful and cheap, people are less inclined to use transit, lower ridership volumes dictate lower service levels etc etc.

So I'd prefer to see at least a few less spaces and maybe some for carsharing as well.

Sure, so parking may be necessary, but it could be underground; and it could be shaded/high-albedo.

Also though, we have to be mindful of the chicken-egg problem. If parking is plentiful and cheap, people are less inclined to use transit, lower ridership volumes dictate lower service levels etc etc.

So I'd prefer to see at least a few less spaces and maybe some for carsharing as well.
One space per unit is plenty, any additional spaces, not including visitor spots, should come at a cost. Also, the only parking that should be at surface level is bikes, and I think accessible parking for retail should also be on the same level if space permits. Other than that, ground level should be entirely reserved for greenspace

On that note, Plains Road would be the perfect spot to replace the centre turn lane with a median and use the extra space for protected bike lanes along the outside, beef up the bus service, and you'd still have 2 lanes in both directions which is unfortunately necessary as it's a major secondary east/west route.

On that note, Plains Road would be the perfect spot to replace the centre turn lane with a median and use the extra space for protected bike lanes along the outside, beef up the bus service, and you'd still have 2 lanes in both directions which is unfortunately necessary as it's a major secondary east/west route.
They did some work re protected bike lanes from Waterdown RD westerly. Not sure of the City has plans in hand to extend that work easterly towards King.

The burlington transit bus route which operates on Plains Road is actually quite frequent, and Burlington actually used to operate express services on the route before COVID. IIRC it's the busiest and most frequent local bus route in Halton Region. Mostly because it feeds into Downtown Hamilton where parking is pricey and limited, so people are more willing to take the bus..

Back