Toronto 346 Eglinton Avenue West | 38.4m | 10s | Terranata | Rafael + Bigauskas

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:
But...Yitz's. That is a major neighbourhood fixture. It has been declining since the glory days, but it would still be a loss for the community.

Walked through the area today and grabbed some shots of the development proposal and renders. Here's what it looks like.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,879
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,782
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,731
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,696
I am an advocate for density on Eglinton but this thing is UGLY. You cant even compare this condo design with what has been made and what is being made at St. Clair and Avenue.

More spandrel than glass. Lovely. How can junk like this even get approvals? Why is this city so disinterested in looking remotely attractive?

Jeez, this.......thing is awful. I thought we were past this kindof lazy design. It makes no attempt to even try connecting with the immediate area, which is surrounded by lowrise apartment buildings and businesses/ neighborhoods.

Why isn't Metrolinx cashing in on Eglinton Crosstown air rights?
last spring, the owners of property next to the proposed Metrolinx station at Eglinton Ave. W. and Avenue Rd., Terranata Developments, offered to buy the air rights above the Metrolinx station, so they could incorporate it into their condo project.

They offered the Terranata site for construction staging — a place to store heavy equipment during the upheaval.

Sounds like a no-brainer, right? Metrolinx said no.

“With the amount of money taxpayers are going to be paying to put this line in, you’d think they’d want the extra revenue coming from the sale of these air rights above the stations. It can only help the province and the City of Toronto,” Terranata partner John Aquino told the Sun’s Shawn Jeffords.

“It was win-win,” Aquino thought.

“Money was going to flow back to them with the sale of the land. We said we’d pay market price.

“We were shocked it went this way.

“I think we lose, the city loses, and it’s bad for business.”

Interestingly, Metrolinx had considered purchasing the Terranata property at 346-356 Eglinton Ave. W. for their construction, but decided they didn’t need it.

Now Metrolinx has decided to expropriate part of the Terranata property. The property they said they didn’t need will now cost taxpayers’ millions to expropriate.

As well, Metrolinx will cause major traffic and business upheaval in the area as they try to work around the property.

Instead of using the site Terranata offered them to store their heavy equipment, they’ll force lengthy lane closures on both Avenue Road and Eglinton over the next four years.
More............http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/01/why-isnt-metrolinx-cashing-in-on-eglinton-crosstown-air-rights

Wow, what the heck? Incredibly irresponsible from Metrolinx.

I've been puzzled by this aspect of the Crosstown construction for a long time. Anyone have any idea why Metrolinx don't want to sale the air rights?

I'd be hesitant with a condo tower.. Probably would still cash in though. I wonder if Metrolinx has the air rights to sell in the first place. SNC Lavalin loves that stuff.

Back