Toronto 346 Davenport | 36.27m | 9s | Freed | RAW Design

Why that specific location was chosen I wouldn't know. I just don't believe it will negatively affect property values.

You're right though, my derelict house analogy was a bit off though I was using it as an example of how mad the property market is in this town.

Last edited:
For society as a whole, it will be much cheaper to pay $8m for a property than to pay for the millions more in health care and other social costs for people who lack shelter.

To be fair though, I'm not sure how much of the health and social costs putting people in a shelter necessarily erases.

To be fair though, I'm not sure how much of the health and social costs putting people in a shelter necessarily erases.

Well, yes permanent social housing would be the solution (of which is still being considered for this site long term, from what I heard). If interested, look up and read article Million Dollar Murray by Malcolm Gladwell that outlines how much public health costs can be lowered by the public simply paying for stable housing for those that don’t have it.

I believe in that idea, no need to read Gladwell. I read one of his books once on a recommendation from a friend and found it to be a poor read.

Sorry, I hope this comment doesn't come across as rude.

@Downtown Toronto : your reasoning as to why you can't indicate where might have been better for a shelter is pretty weaksauce, especially since you are hiding behind a pseudonym. Even if you don't want to indicate a particular property, lay out your general principles.

At the moment, your rationale is as insubstantial as, well, the Ghost of Christmas Past:
For as its belt sparkled and glittered now in one part and now in another, and what was light one instant, at another time was dark, so the figure itself fluctuated in its distinctness: being now a thing with one arm, now with one leg, now with twenty legs, now a pair of legs without a head, now a head without a body: of which dissolving parts, no outline would be visible in the dense gloom wherein they melted away. And in the very wonder of this, it would be itself again; distinct and clear as ever.

@Downtown Toronto : your reasoning as to why you can't indicate where might have been better for a shelter is pretty weaksauce, especially since you are hiding behind a pseudonym. Even if you don't want to indicate a particular property, lay out your general principles.

At the moment, your rationale is as insubstantial as, well, the Ghost of Christmas Past:

Your comment and reasoning makes no sense, exactly what am I hiding behind? this is quite humorous coming from someone with the username "dowlingm". Would you like me to give you my full name, date of birth, home address, work address and while I am at it I can throw in my SIN number too, maybe even my Amazon prime membership if you like? It's not my job to lay out specific properties, that's what elected officials are voted in to do.

@Downtown Toronto, essentially you're being asked to demonstrate how your rejection of the shelter here is any more than the simple NIMBYism we see all over the city. If you don't want to explain the principles underlying your stance, then let's leave it there, and back away from personal accusations.

It's not my job to lay out specific properties, that's what elected officials are voted in to do.
the only reason we are having this exchange is that you claimed to be an authority on local real estate.
I can name numerous sites in the Annex that could have been purchased if the people in charge did their due diligence.
You later backed away from actually naming any, not because of an objection to your username. My noting of your pseudonym was simply pointing out that you could hardly suffer reputational damage in the real world by offering some actual information instead of naysaying this property.

upload_2018-2-26_19-59-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-26_19-59-8.png
    upload_2018-2-26_19-59-8.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 784
Anyone else curious how a green wall is going to look outdoors for 8/12 months of the year?

Looks like they are renovating it and turning it into a women's shelter instead now (according to my cousin). He bought an apartment here (2 bedroom, 1700 square feet) and I'm thinking about renting it out from him when I move full-time to Toronto. He will give me a good deal and it is a 15 minute walk to my work and close to Whole Foods, where my wife shops all the time. We are not going to have a car, we will walk, use the subway, and Uber.

Anyone live near a women's shelter before? Is it quiet or rowdy? I find it quite foolish for the government to build a shelter in such an expensive neighborhood.

Finish and quality should be very good because apparently the builder's mother will live here too!

I find it quite foolish for the government to build a shelter in such an expensive neighborhood.

The prior policy was to squeeze them all in the downtown east area between Yonge Street and Parliament Street so that the precious rich middle class wouldn't have to face their existance, which was pathetic. Spreading these facilities around is the right approach instead of concentrating them in a single area is the right approach. No more ghettos.

Anyone live near a women's shelter before? Is it quiet or rowdy?

No it's not quiet. You have a bunch of strangers pressed together in a building, it may not be quiet. Most of these women come from diverse backgrounds varying from homelessness, sex work, mental health disabilities, abuse/trauma, substance addictions - so no, it may not be quiet.

Back